Thursday, May 16
Royston, Hertfordshire


Pick yourselves up and go again….

Well hi everyone,
Apologies for not reporting on our last game v Cheshunt but like us all, busy working lives and all that!
After a fantastic performance at Ryman Premier Wingate we went into a Senior Cup tie against Cheshunt full of optimism. Now an argument could be that after the previous Saturday’s game I shouldn’t change things but my thoughts were to give the “Fringe” players a run out, resting some at the same time having a strong line up, capable of winning the game.
The start was very promising. The ball was being moved swiftly and accurately and I thought it was only a matter of time before we would transform the good play into goals. A couple of chances missed and a few mistakes later and we found ourselves 1-0 down. Their bench had been extremely quiet but now ahead they were encouraged and we had given ourselves a uphill task.
Second half and we got ourselves back level and now to push on. It didn’t happen. Perhaps down to our lads not having much recent playing time, we gave them too much space and a dangerous cross was put away efficiently by their substitute forward and we were behind once more. A bit more huffing and puffing from us but nothing constructive was followed by a opportunistic effort by Cheshunt which left us at 3-1 and out of the Herts Senior Cup.
Not a happy bunny but back to the league on Saturday against Aylesbury at least safe in the knowledge that some lads had been rested.
Suspensions to Kaan and Scott denied us their services and a fitness test that Stu Bridges failed meant we had to change our formation to 4-4-2. Not a problem due to reports that Aylesbury play that way as well, so a tough but winnable match started.
We unusually went downhill first half so had to take advantage of conditions and slope.
In no time at all Aylesbury were 1-0 up. After that we pushed forward more and could and probably should have got ourselves level. We dominated without really troubling their defence. A disallowed goal happened and if we were going to win we were going to have to do it the hard way.
Second half started much the same. Too few chances and not enough quality in front of goal ensued.
If we could just get back level a draw may not be the end of the world. Half way through the half we defended atrociously, trying to win a ball that was never there to win. Their lad turned, shot. Got it on target and it squirmed in under Ronnie’s body.
The pitch was heavy, but the same for both teams. We are struggling to come up with that bit of quality needed in the final third. The lads need to quickly get back the belief in themselves that we had last week. You don’t become a bad team in a week.
We have a game against Bedford Tuesday so a early response is needed. The league it seems will be tight. We need to stay up there and get back to the consistency we had previously.
Come on boys. Pick yourselves up and go again!!