Who Are Ya! Lowestoft Town FC profile
This Saturday sees Lowestoft Town visit Garden Walk for our latest Evo-Stik Southern Premier Central League fixture. Both teams will be desperate for a victory and its sure to be a tough game. Read on below to find out more about our next visitors to Garden Walk…
- The club was established in 1887 as Lowestoft F.C as a result of a merger between East Suffolk and Kirkley.
- They were renamed Lowestoft Town in 1890.
- They are nicknamed the Trawler Boys.
- In 1900 they reached the final of the FA Amateur Cup, losing 5–1 to Bishop Auckland.
- The 1926-27 season saw the Trawler Boys reach the first round of the FA Cup for the first time, however they lost 10–1 to Watford.
- In the 1938-39 season Lowestoft Town again reached the First Round of the FA Cup although this time they lost 6–0 away to Swindon Town.
- The club turned semi-pro in 1962 and proceeded to dominate the Eastern Counties League during the 1960s, winning the championship in 1962–63 and finishing runners-up in 1963–64, followed by a run of four successive championships, a second place in 1968–69 and then winning two further titles in the following seasons.
- The late 1960’s saw Lowestoft Town reach the FA Cup First Round in both the 1966-67 and 1967-68 seasons. On both occasions they lost to League opposition in Orient (2-1, in 66-67) and Watford (1-0 in 67-68).
- The 1970’s were considerably more barren than the previous success laden decade. They did win the League Cup in 1976, and a league and cup double in 1977–78.
- The 1977-78 season also saw the Trawler Boys appear in the FA Cup First Round again – this time losing 2–0 at home to Cambridge United.
- In 2008 Lowestoft Town reached the FA Vase Final where they lost 2–1 to Kirkham & Wesham at Wembley Stadium.
- The following season 2008-9 they were promoted to the Ryman League Div 1 North and subsequently they were promoted to the Ryman Premier Division at the first attempt in 2009-10.
- 2009-10 also witnessed the Trawler Boys reaching the First Round of the FA Cup once again but a deflected goal at Wrexham put paid to their hopes of progressing to the Second Round for the first time ever.
- A play off final victory over AFC Hornchurch at the end of the 2013-14 season saw Lowestoft Town promoted to the Football Conference North.
- After 2 years in what is now known as National League North the club were relegated on goal difference at the end of the 2015–16 season.