WHO ARE YA! Tamworth FC profile
Our next visitors to Garden Walk are Tamworth FC. Read on to discover more about their footballing history which is littered with promotions, relegations, cup glory and upset and even a Wembley appearance…
- Tamworth FC were formed in 1933
- They have played at their current home ground, The Lamb Ground, since 1934
- The club are nicknamed the Lambs
- For almost 40 years the club competed in the Birmingham Combination and the West Midlands League (aka Birmingham League) before being promoted to the Southern League in 1972
- However, a combination of falling attendances and financial difficulties lead to a return to the West Midlands League.
- In 1984 a consortium of local businessmen took control of the club and in 1987–88 Tamworth won the League and were promoted back to the Southern League.
- In 1989 the Lambs won the FA Vase defeating Sudbury Town in a replay. The first game was played at Wembley Stadium, and finished 1–1. The subsequent replay was played at the much less glamorous London Road, home of Peterborough United, and Tamworth won 3–0 to lift the FA Vase for the first time.
- In 2001-02 Tamworth won the Southern League and secured promotion to the Football Conference for the 2002–03
- Tamworth reached the final of the FA Trophy in 2002–03 season where they played Burscough but were beaten 2–1.
- In 2006 the club completed probably their highest profile signing when they secured the services of former Arsenal, Aston Villa, Walsall and England international midfielder Paul Merson. However, Merson only appeared once for the Lambs in a 2–1 home defeat to Halifax Town. Merson announced his retirement from professional football as a player on 9 March 2006, less than a month after joining Tamworth
- In 2005-06 Tamworth escaped relegation from the Conference National following Canvey Island’s resignation from the league.
- The Lambs did, however, reach the 3rd round of the FA Cup for the first time in 2005-06 when they were drawn away to Stoke City, then a Championship side, and were narrowly beaten on penalties in the replay.
- The following season, Tamworth once again found themselves in the 3rd round of the FA Cup this time losing out 4-1 to Norwich City at home.
- Tamworth were relegated to the Conference North from the Conference in 2006-07.
- After just two seasons Tamworth secured the Conference North title and were promoted back to the Conference Premier for the 2009-10 season.
- In 2011-12 Tamworth once again reached the 3rd Round of the FA Cup drawing Premier League Everton. Around 5,000 Lambs supporters made the trip to Goodison Park to witness the Lambs losing 2-0.
- After five seasons in the Conference the club was once again relegated to the Football Conference North for the 2014-15 season.
- Another relegation followed at the end of the 2017-18 season and the Lambs entered the Southern League Premier Central.