Match Report: Aylesbury United v Royston Town

Date Saturday 7 August 2010
Match Aylesbury United v Royston Town
Competition Spartan South Midlands League: Premier Division
Result Won 2-0
Royston Scorers Lockett (pen), Bronti
Man of Match George Brinkman
Attendance 144
The Crows got their league campaign off to the perfect start with a fully deserved win against former Zameretto Midlands Division side Aylesbury United on Saturday. The game was played at Leighton Town FC whose pitch surface state rather resembled an end of season one than a first of the season. This combined with the humid weather conditions made it the toughest of opening fixtures.
Manager Paul Attfield gave three of his summer signings full debuts with defender Liam McDevitt, Midfielder Danny Payne and Forward George Brinkman all starting and all three performed admirably in a fine team performance.
A Ryan Lockett penalty in the first half and a Josh Bronti strike mid way through the second proved decisive but in fairness if it hadn't been for the home goalkeeper the margin of victory could have been substantially higher.
The hosts started full of enthusiasm without looking to threaten the goal. A couple of early set plays were easily dealt with and as the half progressed Royston began to get into an effective rhythm that saw them create some more than presentable chances. Josh Bronti had two of the best with his first coming after a quick exchange of passes from Ryan Lockett and his well placed 18 yard shot was superbly turned around the post by the keeper. A few minutes later Lewis Endacott's right wing cross found Bronti unmarked but he couldn’t quite direct his header on target.
George Brinkman looked lively in attack and he broke through a static defence only to be thwarted by the keeper at his feet with no Royston player following up to take advantage and the ball was cleared. Brinkman also had the best chance of the half when his close range free header from Bronti's cross was superbly tipped over from point blank range.
Ryan Lockett also was unlucky when his individual run ended with a fierce drive just clearing the crossbar. With the hosts unable to create any clear chances from their possession it seemed only a matter of time before Royston took the lead which they did in the 43rd minute in controversial circumstances.
Luke Robin's corner was well contested in the air but referee Crawford spotted an infringement and awarded a penalty that Ryan Lockett blasted into the bottom corner to give Royston a slender half time advantage.
The second half was much faster. Paul Attfield replaced the cautioned Conor De Lacy with Carl Edwards as the game got more physically contested.
Forward George Brinkman received some rather crude treatment as the hosts amassed an unamusing seven cautions for their trouble with the referee continually impeding the play. The hosts looked better in the second half and a poor Carl Edwards back pass let in a forward that needed a combination of Jorden Gibson and Danny Payne to divert the danger to a corner.
Royston still looked dangerous on the counter attack and another fine run from Lockett saw him vut in from the left and smack a twenty yard effort against the face of the upright. The half cleared ball was crossed in by Bronti with Carl Edward's glancing header narrowly going wide.
Bronti and Brinkman both had further efforts work the goalkeeper before Bronti Completed the scoring mid way through the half when after a defensive mistake he raced clear to shoot past the advancing keeper.
Aylesbury threw everything into attack as both teams tired in the difficult conditions and two excellent crosses presented headed chances with one striking the crossbar and another headed inches wide from close range but any goal would have been slim consolation as Royston held out well for the win
Team: Gibson Endacott McElvoy Mulvaney McDevitt De Lacy (Edwards) Payne (Taylor) Bronti Brinkman Lockett Robins (Young) – Unused Howard Welch