Match Report: Aylesbury v Royston Town

Date Tuesday 4 September 2012
Match Aylesbury v Royston Town
Competition Evo-Stik League Southern: Central Division One
Result Drew 1-1
Royston Scorers Robins (pen)
Attendance 158
Crows MoM

This will be seen as two points dropped rather than one point gained as The Crows were made to pay for another sloppy start and a hatful of missed chances which saw them come away from Aylesbury with a 1-1 draw, thus maintaining their unbeaten start to the season.

This was the third time in five league games that The Crows have had to come from behind to secure something and that will be of some concern to manager Paul Attfield, who will be equally perplexed as to why second half performances have been outstanding.

Once again it was the opposition who started the game the better. The Crows had to make changes with both Jack Bradshaw and Kaan Fehmi absent from the squad and the hosts deservedly took an early lead with a catalogue of errors contributing to the goal. A simple right wing throw was allowed to be switched to the other wing with a hopeful cross being met by an unmarked forward who from ten yards looped a header over a stranded Will Norris and into the net. Home momentum continued with another shot just wide and a free header from a corner just clearing the crossbar.

From the half hour mark, just like other games this season, Royston managed to get their game in order and began to dominate. Ryan Lockett had an angled volley off target from a good position and Ryan Ingrey brought a good low save from the keeper from his 20 yarder. Set plays caused the home side some problems with defender Taylor Parr twice having close range efforts cleared off the line by desperate but brave defending.

Paul Attfield replaced Matt Standen with Josh Bronti at the interval with a change of formation and with Royston once again moving the ball with great speed and accuracy the home side had to do much defending. Chances were created but spurned as time passed by. Ryan Ingrey had a great chance when Lee Wilson's excellent cross wet over a defender but hit Ingrey just six yards from goal with the keeper sweeping up. Joe De La Salle had two bites at the cherry from a free kick but his efforts were blocked on the line by the keeper and Ryan Lockett had a one on one but delayed too long and was tackled just before shooting.

With ten minutes left Ryan Ingrey burst into the box and was upended with Luke Robins blasting home the penalty, Royston's fifth spot kick in six games.

The Crows went for the win with Robins shooting just wide and a 20 yard volley from Ryan Lockett bringing the save of the night from the home keeper. As Royston went for the win the home side broke late on and despite having so little to do on the night Will Norris was alert enough to block the home forward's advances.

So a draw which was well celebrated by the hosts, being their first league point of the season whilst The Crows will reflect on another frustrating 'Jekyll and Hyde' performance as they go into a two week spell of FA Cup and FA Trophy games.
Team: Norris, Parr, Wilson, Endacott, De La Salle, Collins, Edwards (Lawrence), Lockett, Standen (Bronti), Ingrey, Robins. – Unused: Howard, Butler