Match Report: Barking v Royston Town

Date Saturday 22 October 2011
Match Barking v Royston Town
Competition FA Carlsberg Vase: First Round Proper
Result Won 1-0
Royston Scorers k. Fehmi (pen)
Man of Match Dalton O'Brien
Attendance 105

The Crows overcome a difficult hurdle at Barking FC on Saturday with an early Kaan Fehmi penalty seperating the teams in a game Royston had to see out for 35 minutes after Martin Standen's second half sending off.

It has not been at all possible for the Royston manager Paul Attfield to get a settled team in recent games and once again the absentee list was high. Ross Collins , Ryan Lockett, Matt Standen, Rhys Lawrence and Luke Robins all missed out through injury and Lewis Endacott was suspended for this one game. Martin Standen and Ashley Grinham came through pre match fitness tests after knocks in mid week and the gme started with the hosts on the front foot.

They tore into the game and Royston had to defend resolutely. A number of crosses and set plays had to be dealt with in the opening minutes and one close range shot from a half cleared cross was blazed over from eight yards for a clear let off. With Barking committing plenty of player's in attack The Crows had chances to hit them on the counter attack even in the early stages and with their first positive venture forward in the 9th minute they won a penalty. Neat passing down the right between Tom Malins and Kaan Fehmi created some space and a quick burst of pace into the box with the ball from Dalton OBrien saw him upended with Kaan Fehmi scoring the spot kick.

This gave Royston some decent confidence and they went on to largely dominate the remainder of the half. Ricky Young and Tom Malins were particlularly threatening in wide positions and some clear chances were created to extend the lead. Malin volleyed Ricky Young's right cross over the cross bar from close range and Dalton OBriens close range shot was superbly blocked by the home keeper after a fine team move. Just before half time another swift move from defence caught out the home side and Young's cross found the forward run of Ashley Grinham but he headed straight at the keeper from ten yards.

With the vistors unable to add to their single goal tally before the interval they needed a strong start to the second half and despite starting well on the front foot they were rocked by Martin Standen's early sending off in the half.

Getting sandwiched between two opposition player's one hit the floor and after some moaning and shouting the referee deemed Standen's challenge to be worthy of a second yellow card after a first mid way through the first and the realisation of playing 35 minutes with ten men now had to be dealt with.

The Crows continued with a compact 4-4-1 formation and looked well organised and determined in everything they did. Whilst the home side had plenty of the ball they struggled to create clear openings. They may have felt a little aggreived not to have had their own penalty when a forward went over under Grinham's challenge. One very rare mistake allowed a great chance to the wide player who ran into the area and clear but the very alert Will Norriss blocked superbly with his legs.

Royston were quite cautious going forward without committing many in attack. Ricky Young and Kaan Fehmi still looked a threat and Young had the best chance of the half for his team when he eveaded a couple of challenges and hit a fierce left footer straight at the keeper.

A late home onslaught, a number of corners and 7 minutes added time were all weatheredby the vistors with a great deal of determination and protecting Will Norriss to the extent that he had no meaningfull further saves to make.

Team: Norris, Grinham, Beck, McGrandles, Bradshaw, Standen, Edwards, Malins, K. Fehmi(Redford), O'Brien, Young Unused : Gibson, A. Fehmi, Clemo, Bronti