Match Report: Biggleswade United v Royston Town

Date Tuesday 22 February 2011
Match Biggleswade United v Royston Town
Competition Spartan South Midlands League: Premier Division
Result Won 5-0
Royston Scorers Lamacraft, Lockett(2), Grinham, Edwards
Man of Match John McGrandles
Attendance 58

A quite unbelievable second half show from The Crows saw them score five goals without reply after a forgettable first half had ended goalless.

Paul Attfield lost both David Cain to illness and Bobby Dance due to work commitments leading upto the game but there were places in the squad for Ross Collins and Martin Standen returning from suspension.

The first half was completely devoid of any quality with only a couple of half chances created by the visitors during the period. Bigglewade worked hard as a unit but also lacked any real attacking idea and it was a relatively comfortable night for keeper Luke Howard.

Royston lost Rhys Lawrence mid way through the half with a leg injury with Martin Standen making an early entry amid some re-shuffling in the formation.

Both teams were guilty of giving up possession far too easily and when Royston did get within the home defensive third a lack of any quality or thought erased any opportunities of creating chances.

Ryan Lockett had one half chance with a right footed twenty yard effort well held by the keeper and Lewis Endacott had the best chance of the half when he blazed over the crossbar from just inside the area after being set up by Jack Bradshaw but that was as good as it got.

A few tactical changes and few half time words saw The Crows look a completely different outfit in the second period. Pressing the ball harder and passing the ball quicker saw them take swift control of the game and they hit Biggleswade for three quick goals within the first eight minutes of the half.

All of the goals were created from Royston's right hand side where Biggleswade were leaving themselves out numbered and therefore outfought. Lewis Endacott, Jack Bradshaw and Ricky Young were linking up well in that channel and on 47 minutes some stunning play from Young in the area saw him beat two players and cross for Glen Lamacraft to head home at the far post.

Two minutes later, Lockett's free kick saw Lewis Endacott pushed over in the box with Lockett sending the keeper the wrong way from the resultant penalty.

The blitz continued with some immense quality in the passing and movement as confidence looked fully restored. On 53 minutes. from Ryan Lockett's corner, John McGrandles headed powerfully goalwards with Ashley Grinham getting a deflection on the ball and into the net.

Biggleswade were getting overrun and a fourh goal was scored mid way through the half when Lewis Endacott beat the offside trap down the right, running goalwards he squared for Carl Edwards to convert into the empty net from ten yards.

It was left to Ryan Lockett to complete the scoring with fifteen minutes remaining when he headed in Endacott's excellent cross at the far post.

Ricky Young and Ross Collins were both fractionally off target with efforts to extend the lead but the second half performance will give Royston good confidence going into Saturday's crucial game at Chalfont St Peter with a sixth clean sheet in seven games to also build on

Team: Howard, Bradshaw, Apostolos, McGrandles, Grinham, Lamacraft (Collins), Edwards, Endacott, Young, Lockett, Lawrence (Standen),