Match Report: Colney Heath v Royston Town

Date Tuesday 29 January 2013
Match Colney Heath v Royston Town
Competition Herts FA Senior Challenge Cup: Quarter-Final
Result Won 2-0
Royston Scorers Fehmi, Robins(pen)
Attendance 56 (22 from Royston)
Crows MoM Lewis Endacott

Royston One Step Closer To Cup Glory
By Jez Izod

In very difficult conditions for both sides, Royston produced a professional performance to beat a spirited Colney Heath side 2-0 and progress to the Semi Final of the Herts Senior Cup.

After an enforced break you would have forgiven the Crows for being ring rusty, but straight from the whistle Royston attacked down the left flank with a slick move involving Wilson, Ingrey and Fehmi, eventually snuffed out by superb defending by the Colney Heath captain, Glenn Draper.

Two minutes later Tommy Malins sneaked into the opposition penalty area and his low shot was saved by Tom Blackman.

Sam Spencer then tested the Colney Heath midfield before being brought down by Josh Humbert. From 35 yards out Joe De La Salle's free kick fizzed over the bar.

It was all Royston at this point until the referee controversially brought a temporary halt to play and insisted that two Royston players needed to change their undergarments. This gave Colney Heath a chance to re-organise and this nearly paid dividends with Humbert scampering down the right flank and his cross-cum-shot took everyone by surprise and had it not been for a fabulous save by Reynolds the hosts would have been ahead.

On the half hour mark Humbert scythed down Ingrey just outside of the area. Wilson’s superb free kick produced an unorthodox save from Blackman.

The Crows pressure paid off five minutes from time after a marvellous twelve pass move found the impressive Lee Wilson and his superb cross was met by Kaan Fehmi who slammed it into the back of the net.

It was nearly game over two minutes later when Matt Coran sloppily gave away the ball and this was won by Endacott who tested the excellent Blackman but the shot stopper was equal to the attempt.

The second half saw more of the same from Royston with Fehmi, Spencer, Endacott and De La Salle all testing the home keeper.

The home side then found some spirit in their play and pressed forward with Aaron Clarke having his shot saved by Harry Reynolds. A minute later Zak Preston had the freedom of the pitch and the young Royston stopper bravely saved at his feet.

On 61 minutes Sam Spencer sneaked a super pass to the excellent Endacott and yet again Blackman denied the rampant right back.

After this the game descended to an exhibition match with Colney Heath lacking in ideas and Royston intent on playing out time.

With the clock hitting 69 minutes, Robins replaced Fehmi and the Royston sub wasted no time in making an impression with a long range shot once again superbly saved by Blackman.

With the game far from over, Endacott burst into the area on 80 minutes and was upended by Draper. Robins took the resultant spot kick to put the Crows two up.

Colney Heath had no answer to this and after a flurry of substitutions the referee finally blew for time and Royston were through to a semi-final and an extra chance of silverware this season.

Overall a very professional performance and one that the returning Paul Attfield should be proud of against a resolute Colney Heath side.

Team: Reynolds, Endacott, Wilson (Parr), De La Salle, Bradshaw (c), Spencer (Lockett), Edwards, Malins (O’Brien), Fehmi (Robins), Lockett, Ingrey
Sub Not Used: McDevitt