Match Report: Colney Heath v Royston Town

Date Monday 3 January 2011
Match Colney Heath  v Royston Town
Competition Spartan South Midlands League: Premier Division
Result Lost 2-1
Royston Scorers Lockett
Man of Match Lewis Endacott
Attendance 102

Royston's first match for three weeks and a first of the new year but so similar circumstances as a game The Crows had largely dominated and been winning was eventually lost to concede a seventh league defeat of the season.

Considering the lack of match practice the Royston team played some excellent football but missed opportunities and indiscipline would eventually haunt the side as Colney snatched an 80th minute winner.

Colney played a direct game throughout which Royston effectively dealt with for the most part. This often gave Royston the chance to hit the hosts on the counter attack but the often good approach play was not always matched by decent final balls and both defences stayed on top in the contest.

Carl Edwards had Royston's best chance as a fine passing move opened up the home defence and Edwards raced into the area but the keeper raced from his line to block his effort. David Cain and Martin Standen both had efforts from set plays miss the target and another Standen header from Ryan Lockett's free kick went straight at the keeper.

Royston maintained momentum in the second half and took the lead on 52 minutes when a left wing cross was only half headed clear and Ryan Lockett smashed in an unstoppable twelve yard volley high into the net.

Chances came more often with debutant Matt Standen firing over from close range after another good move and the keeper saving well from both Ricky Young and David Cain.

With Royston in complete control the game changed on 65 minutes when Captain Ross Collins was sent off by referee Howes for an off the ball instance. From the awarded free kick Barker headed home to double the punishment.

The game then opened up into a frenzied end to end affair with Royston a man down and the equaliser galvanising the hosts. Gibson made one great save and another forward blazed over with the goal gaping as Colney threatened. At the other end Bobby Dance crashed a 25 yarder against the crossbar.

The game was won with a crisp finish from 12 yards after Colney had a neat build up that Royston could not break up and then numbers were evened up by the referee with a Colney player receiving a second yellow card. The hosts were further reduced to nine men in similar fashion with minutes remaining but despite a late Royston onslaught the points that looked seemingly in the bag were thrown away in disappointing circumstances.

Gibson Collins Grinham (Whitaker) Endacott Cain , Martin Standen (Lamacraft) Edwards Lockett Young (Dance) , Matt Standen, Malins  Unused Subs: Howard