Match Report: Egham Town v Royston Town

Date Saturday 13 August 2016
Match Egham Town v Royston Town
Competition Evostik League Southern: Division One Central
Result Drew 1-1
Royston Scorers Bradshaw
Crows MoM
Josh Castiglione

Royston Town left it late again to get something out of this game – this time a very late equaliser via the trusty boot of Jack Bradshaw from the penalty spot to rescue a point.

The Crows started the game with lively attacks and in the first minute Josh Castiglione found himself free but his shot was low power and straight at Sarnies’ keeper James Reading.

Kaan Fehmi put himself at a disadvantage early as he committed a yellow card earning foul that incensed the home team and the referee duly produced the caution.

Castiglione put in a good surging run up the left but his low cross fell behind his fellow charging attackers and this was as good as it got in the first half as the Crows stuttered and them stumbled as the game set at stalemate and the home-side took the opportunity on 31 minutes as the Sarnies looked to threaten with a break that Leon Smith put wide – but then the Crows’ midfield and defence switched off and Zak Joseph stepped forward and executed a lobbed effort from distance that found Reece Paine’s top corner far too easily.

This strike left the Crows shell-shocked and reeling and they never really recovered their shape or composure up to half-time. 1-0

Early play in the second half saw the Crows threaten again with a fine through ball finding Ryan Ingrey and his well delivered cross reached Fehmi dangerously placed at the back post but he couldn’t get the ball out from under his feet to put in a shot.

Egham brought on their lively attacker, Bajram Pashaj, who has been the scourge of the Crows in previous games and he set about terrorising the Crows’ backline with Joe DeLaSalle scrambling and arriving late for a challenge that led to a yellow card for his obvious misdemeanour.

The eager Castiglione had a decent chance on 59 minutes but his effort was smothered by Reading.

Steve Castle had seen enough and made a triple substitution on 60 minutes bringing on Chris Watters, Dan Brathwaite and Gary Cohen for Scott-Morriss, DeLaSalle and Fehmi.

Cohen looked to make an early impact and he put a strong header just by the post from a good cross by Danny May and then he put a low left foot shot that sped across the goal and past the post.

As the Crows probed they were stretched at the back and Paine made a good stop to keep the deficit at one goal.

Royston forced a couple of corners that weren’t delivered that well and other crosses in were dealt with comfortably by the Egham defenders and it looked like the game was slipping away from the visiting team.

However, on 92 minutes the tireless Ingrey broke deep into the box and was crudely upended with enough force to win a penalty for his side. Jack Bradshaw powered in to equalise the scores. 1-1.

For the second game in succession the Crows left it late to rescue the game, this time for a precious point, and no-one can question the Crows’ commitment and will to do well for the shirt, but the lack of goal scoring and match penetration needs to be addressed as soon as possible.

Team: Paine, Scott-Morriss (Watters), May, Bridges Scott, De La Salle (Brathwaite), Bridges Stuart, Bradshaw, Mentis, Fehmi (Cohen), Castiglione, Ingrey.            Subs not used – Towner, Linsell.