Match Report: Eynesbury Rovers v Royston Town

Date Tuesday 9 April 2013
Match Eynesbury Rovers v Royston Town
Competition Hinchingbrooke Cup, Second Round
Result Won 5-1
Royston Scorers Bradshaw, Edwards(2), Standen, Robins
Attendance 78 (28 from Royston)
Crows MoM Taylor Parr
Royston Cup Hopes Still Full To The Brim
By Jez Izod
An under-strength Crows side with only a substitute Goalkeeper named on the bench, progressed to the Semi Final stage of the Hinchingbrooke Cup after a comprehensive victory at Hall Road.
The Crows pressed forward from the start, looking to end this as a contest early on. With spectators still taking their place in the stand, Luke Robins was cynically hacked by Nathan Field. The resulting free kick was cleared away for a corner to Royston. Up stepped Luke Robins and his cross found Sam Spencer lurking on the edge of the box. Spencer’s shot into the floor bounced over the defence and allowed Jack Bradshaw to slot home.
With Royston playing magnificent one touch football, Taylor Parr ghosted through the midfield and as Robins before him, was scythed down by Field. With the away support calling for a card to be shown, the official simply had words with the right back.
Royston did not have it all their own way as the Rovers countered with their own brand of silky football, the dangerous Dion Ferris-Siemba scampered off on a mazy run getting the better of Ryan Ingrey who was playing in an unorthodox centre half position, slipping the ball through to Lee Bassett, who promptly shot straight into the hands of Will Norris.
On 21 minutes a shot-cum-cross from Bassett was picked up in no man's land by Ferris-Siemba, the tricky winger managed to wriggle his way into the Crows area, his low pass found Bassett, whose cheeky back heel was magnificently saved by Norris.
The Rovers were matching the Crows at this point of proceedings as Parr took it upon himself to settle the match. On the half hour mark, the left back powered through the middle of the park and found De La Salle, just as make shift striker was pulling the trigger, a late flag was raised much to the consternation of the large travelling support.
Two minutes later saw poor Royston defending nearly punished as a loose ball was picked up by Ben Colmer and with the goal at his mercy, the midfielder crashed his effort against the upright.
On 34 minutes Royston were further ahead after the influential Parr beat four Eynesbury players, his shot was parried by Andrew Wale but the unmarked Standen followed up.
It should have been game over a minute before the break after a fabulous run by Robins and a pin point cross was met by De La Salle who headed just over.
With spectators still finding their places for the second period, the Crows strengthened their grip on the game after a poor Eynesbury clearance was latched onto by Carl Edwards and his shot was heavily deflected into the Rovers goal.
With the game beginning to take the feel of pre-season friendly, Royston were happy to play keep ball to ensure their deserved victory.
Eynesbury had other ideas and gallantly pressed forward searching for a deserved consolation. Barrett tested the away defence on 52 minutes as his hooked shot was cleared by Parr.
On 60 minutes another Robin’s rampage down the left flank found Sam Spencer on the edge of the area, his pin point pass found Standen whose shot was superbly saved by Wale.
The Rovers gained a glimmer of hope after Ingrey handled in the area on 72 minutes. Barrett scored the penalty past Harry Reynolds who had only just replaced Will Norris.
With the home fans screaming their encouragement it was a nervous few minutes for the Crows as Spencer gave the ball away in a dangerous area, Ash Bonness was clean through and a certain goal was saved by a match winning tackle by Bradshaw.
The Crows did not have to wait long to settle the tie after a throw in evaded the entire Eynesbury defence, Carl Edwards had the simple task of slotting past Wale.
The Cherry on top of the cake happened two minutes before full time when a superb pass by Ricky Young found the rampant Robins on the edge of the area, his low strike whizzed past Wale to give the Crows an empathic victory.
As the whistle was blown, both sides received fantastic applause as although Eynesbury were well beaten, they gave as good as they received and the future must look bright for them.
Overall a hard worked win with an under strength side, manager Paul Attfield must have had his sights set on Saturdays crucial promotion clash against Guildford City.
Royston Town: Norris (Reynolds), Endacott, Parr, De La Salle, Bradshaw(c), Spencer, Edwards, Young, Ingrey, Standen, Robins