Match Report: Hanworth Villa v Royston Town

Date Saturday 25 August 2012
Match Hanworth Villa v Royston Town
Competition FA Cup with Budweiser: Preliminary Round
Result Won 2-1
Royston Scorers Lawrence(Pen), Ingrey
Attendance 86
Crows MoM Ryan Ingrey

Two second half goals gave The Crows victory in this Preliminary Round FA Cup tie and victory sets up a tie at Ryman Premier Division side Wingate & Finchley in two weeks time.

Just like Tuesday's league game Royston had to come back from a half time deficit and whilst their performance wasn't as assured as Tuesday's the team did well enough amid monsoon-like torrential downpours.

Similar to last weekend a three hour coach journey was endured to South West London and in terms of selection Luke Howard stood in goal as Will Norris was ill and Ryan Ingrey came in for the injured Kaan Fehmi.

Royston started well on an excellent playing surface and should have been a few goals to the good by the mid way point of the first half. In the first minute Lewis Endacott's deflected cross found Matt Standen free at the far post and his close range half volley was somehow turned over by the keeper. Moments later Endacott played a one two with Ryan Ingrey with his twenty yard strike beating the keeper all ends up but also the post by a fraction.

Five minutes later Joe Delasalle beat the keeper to a well delivered free kick but his header went agonisingly wide of the far post and soon after a good run and pull back from Luke Robins found Matt Standen but his goal bound ten yard effort was blocked by an unknowing defender. The deluge of chances ended with a free header for Rhys Lawrence from another free kick that was well off target.

Gradually a momentum change occurred amidst the start of torrential rainfall with The Crows gradually losing their way and Hanworth taking good control. Luke Howard had to race from his line to make a fine one on one block and he also was called to make a stunning save from close range following a left wing cross and free shot.

The home side were able to make their pressure count four minutes before half time when Royston struggled to clear a ball from the right and the ball was cut back from the left by line for the unmarked King to side foot in from eight yards.

Royston came out second half and had one excellent early chance when Luke Robins raced clear with his low drive superbly saved by the legs of the keeper with Ryan Ingrey's follow up equally well saved.
Hanworth though stayed on top and were twice again denied by Howard in goal. One superb tip over from a close range header following a corner and another block denying a forward racing from his line with the follow up going into the side netting.

Like Royston earlier in the game the home missed chances proved costly as The Crows got a penalty out of nothing in the 60th minute when Standen was tripped on the edge of the area after some neat skill with Rhys Lawrence sending the keeper the wrong way from the spot.

A minute later Luke Robins headed a corner inches wide but in the 64th minute Royston were in front when some good play down the left ended with Lee Wilson sending a sublime cross to the far post for Ryan Ingrey to head home from eight yards.

The game opened out into an end to end affair form the remaining time with Hanworth throwing bodies forward but The Crows defending resolutely. The home side were unlucky not to level twice when a 25 yard thunderbolt free kick clipped Howard's crossbar and flew over and after a fine both a forward broke into the area but shot inches wide of the post.

It was Royston's day however and whilst chances were probably on level par this was not an easy place to gain a win and puts gloss on what has been a fine week
Team: Howard, Endacott, Wilson, De La Salle, Bradshaw, Collins, Edwards, Lawrence (Malins), Standen (Lockett), Ingrey, Robins (Bronti). Unused : Butler