Match Report: Haringey Borough v Royston Town

Date Tuesday 20 December 2011
Match Haringey Borough v Royston Town
Competition Spartan South Midlands Football League: Premier Division
Result Won 4-1
Royston Scorers Young, K. Fehmi(2), Matt Standon
Man of Match Jason Beck
Attendance 75

After two narrow, if undeserved, league defeats a trip to in-form 5th placed side Haringey Borough was a difficult task with the hosts only suffering one competitive defeat since the beginning of November and that was against The Crows in the FA Vase three weeks ago.

The pitch played quite well considering it survived an early day pitch inspection and manager Paul Attfield welcomed back Jack Bradshaw after a short lay off and elected to start Luke Robins and Ryan Lockett ahead of Ricky Young and Kaan Fehmi who both dropped to the bench from Saturday's defeat at Stotfold.

It was a tough start for The Crows with Haringey using all their technical ability in attack to take control of the game. The visitors struggled to get a stranglehold on the game and the home side won a number of early corners that were all defended admirably. However in open play chances were created and Will Norris did well with his positioning to hold a couple of unchallenged efforts from inside the area.

The pressure continued with The Crows finding keeping the ball a difficulty against the enthusiasm of the host's shut down play and the Haringey team deservedly took a lead midway through the half when Chris Benjamin raced through a couple of weak challenges and slotted under the advancing Norris.

Martin Standen had to be replaced due to a rib injury and the introduction of long term absentee Ross Collins and a formation change gradually change The Crow's fortunes . By the 30 minutes mark Royston were completely in the ascendancy and this was to continue for the remainder of the game as the team work rate and quality on the ball were too much for Haringey by the end.

The Crows had to be patient for their rewards though as before half time Ross Collins saw a close range volley from a knock down unknowing deflected wide as did Ryan Lockett and from another set play Jason Beck had an angled 16 yard half volley strike the keeper's leg and balloon over.

The momentum continued in the second half with good pressure and territorial dominance but a lack of scoring opportunities forced Paul Attfield into changes and both were to work wonders with immediate impact. With 25 minutes remaining Rick Young and Kaan Fehmi replaced Luke Robins and Carl Edwards and with his first touches Young made a fine run behind the full back to control Ross Collin's angled lofted ball to control and shot under the keeper.

Five minutes later Kaan Fehmi picked up a loose ball in midfield and belted an unstoppable 25 yard left footed drive into the top corner. The shot was severe enough for repair work to be done on the broken net.

Haringey had one further chance when a sharp raid down the left wing and cross invited a good chance from eight yards for a forward who blasted wastefully over and that was as good as it got for the hosts who were completely outplayed for the remaining 20 minutes. Having to endure wave after wave of quality attacks chances were created from some sublime football and further goals justified.

With just under ten minutes remaining Kaan Fehmi again orchestrated one such move and picking up the ball on the left side of the area cut inside and beat the keeper at his near post from 14 yards.

Tom Malins twice went close, Fehmi went close to completing his hat trick and Joe Clemo had a low drive superbly blocked before Matt Standen headed home Ryan Lockett's inch perfect cross from six yards with moments of the game remaining to put a morale boosting final look to the score line.

Team: Norris, Clemo, Bradshaw, McGrandles, Beck, Martin Standen (Collins), Edwards (K. Fehmi), Malins, Lockett, Matt Standen, Robins (Young) Unused: Apostolos, Endacott