Match Report: Oxhey Jets v Royston Town

Date Tuesday 13 March 2012
Match Oxhey Jets v Royston Town
Competition South Midlands Floodlit Cup: Semi-Final
Result Won 3-1
Royston Scorers Grinham, Bradshaw (pen), K. Fehmi
Man of Match Jack Bradshaw
Attendance 45

The Crows will play in the League Floodlit Cup final for the fourth season running after a well merited win after an entertaining game at Oxhey Jets on Tuesday evening. In the final they will play Broxbourne Borough whom they beat in the final two seasons ago.

Away games at Oxhey Jets are never easy and on a fine night for football compatible with the good playing surface both teams tried to play a fast, attractive game throughout. That was largely achieved but a more determined second half performance from Paul Attfield's saw them create good chances and The Crows may feel a bit aggrieved not to have won by a slightly bigger margin.

The Royston Manager elected to rest both John McGrandles and top scorer Kaan Fehmi, Luke Robins was not put in the squad, Jason Beck was suspended and Tom Malins ,Ryan Lockett and Rhys Lawrence were all injured. Martin Standen returned to the side from Saturday.

It was Jets who took the game to Royston and were in front within two minutes. The ball was given away carelessly and when a cross was punched out by Will Norris the ball landed at the feet of a Jets Player who lashed into the net from the edge of the area.

The lead could have doubled by virtue of a free ten yard header that looped over the stranded Norris's crossbar and a couple of ricochets from a goalmouth scramble that fell Royston's way but apart from the opening ten minutes The Crows gradually found their feet to control proceedings.

Matt Standen had two good chances when he was first played through into the area but shot tamely at the keeper and secondly just failing to connect with a left wing cross at the far post.

The equaliser came mid-way through the half when Ashley Grinham made a burst forward with the ball from full back position and let fly from 25 yards which beat the surprised keeper's dive to his right.

The score remained level at the interval but despite both teams playing excellent football in the second half Royston were controlled and assured in defence and looked likely to score at regular stages of the period.

Their cause was helped with an effective start and a penalty award within ninety seconds of the restart. Jets were dispossessed in midfield with Ricky Young making the forage into the area and being upended by the keeper who was a tad fortunate just to get away with the penalty award. With regular taker Kaan Fehmi on the bench Jack Bradshaw stepped up to the rifle the ball high into the net.

Matt Standen was again unlucky not to score when Ricky Young's diagonal ball just eluded his full stretch dive and Ross Collins struck a firm twenty yarder inches over the crossbar with the keeper beaten.
Jets had periods of pressure but never created any clear chances to test the goal with both centre halves Jack Bradshaw and Lewis Endacott having commendable games.

Back at the other end Ross Collins had another chance to win the game late on when a great move landed at his feet but his drive from 14 yards smashed the face of the crossbar and rebounded to safety.

The game was made safe though with a more than deserved goal just five minutes from the end when Ricky Young was fouled 25 yards out and substitute Kaan Fehmi curled the resulting kick around a suspect wall and into the top corner to finish a fine night's work for The Crows.

Team: Norris, Clemo, Grinham, Endacott, Bradshaw, Martin Standen, Edwards, Collins, Matt Standen (K. Fehmi), Redford, Young – Unused: McGrandles, Lawrence