Match Report: Royston Town v Aylesbury United (Red Insure Cup R2)

Date Tuesday 4th February 2013
Match Royston Town v Aylesbury Utd
Competition Red Insure Cup: Round 2
Result Won 6-0
Royston Scorers Fehmi (3), Hammond, Mason, Dobson
Crows MoM
Kaan Fehmi

Royston Town were rampant in this Red Insure Cup third round match scoring six ruthlessly well taken goals without response and dominating open play from start to finish. The pitch had withstood a roll and the improved playing surface aided the football that was a pleasure to watch.

After an initial five minute messy sparring session the Crows began to get a foothold and for the rest of the impressive first half the Ducks were effectively chasing shadows and on eight minutes the absolutely superb Kaan Fehmi set the tone with a sublime flick, spin and delightful low finish to open the scoring and he went close again with a swerving effort almost immediately after the restart.

Craig Hammond, having his best game for the Crows this season, added the second on 15 minutes when he pounced on the loose ball and decisively prodded home following a well delivered Jhai Dhillon free-kick that had caused panic and a classic goal-mouth scramble.

Four minutes later and Fehmi got his second by dispossessing a Ducks midfielder and surging forward, being given ample time and space, to pick his spot low by the right hand post.

To their credit Aylesbury United rallied slightly and forced a number of corners that were all comfortably dealt with by keeper Nick Thompson and his defenders.

Hard working Carl Edwards found some space on the right wing to produce a cut-back that Fehmi hit well but saw Jack Sillitoe in the Duck’s goal make a fine save. Not to be thwarted, on the cusp of the half-time whistle, Fehmi completed his fine first half hat-trick with a mazy run by at least four desperate challenges to plant the ball low and hard to make the score 4-0 at half-time.

Steve Castle utilised this dominance to rest Fehmi for the second half but giving no respite to the Duck’s by introducing big Rob Mason to torment them further. Dhillon, nursing some kind of strain, was also replaced by Ryan Lockett which meant a slight formation re-jig.

The second half started similar to the first with a period of scrappy play by both teams and Hammond was unlucky to see a flicked header come back off the post and the visitor’s spirited endeavour created a rare chance on the Crow’s goal.

Ryan Ingrey replaced Antonio Murray on the hour and almost immediately made an impact being crudely upended on the edge of the box leading to a well delivered free-kick that was deflected for a corner. This corner was fed to Ingrey at the near post who turned away from the goal, retaining possession well and fed the ball to the preying debutant Reece Dobson who powered a fantastic fierce shot through the crowd low into the bottom corner   

The scoring was completed on 75 minutes with a surging run up the right by Lockett and a beautiful swinging by-line cross over for big man Mason to leap and hang above the challenging defenders to head home despite a valiant effort from Sillitoe to keep it out. 

This was a really pleasing all round performance and resounding 6-0 victory from a squad of players that are all vying for a starting place. Their reward is a  quarter final tie against Southern Premier League St Neots Town FC that will perhaps be a sterner test, but for total effort and clinical finishing tonight the Crows could not be faulted.

Thompson, Parr, Dhillon (Lockett), Endacott, Cambridge, Collins, Edwards, Murray (Ingrey), Fehmi (Mason), Hammond, Dobson.

Subs not used – Mentis, Spencer.