Match Report: Royston Town v Beaconsfield SYCOB

Date Saturday 10 November 2012
Match Royston Town v Beaconsfield SYCOB
Competition Evo-Stik League Southern: Central Division One
Result Won 3-2
Royston Scorers Lockett, Robins(2).
Attendance 182
Crows MoM Luke Robins

For the second game running the never say die attitude of Royston Town FC turned a half time deficit into an exciting victory. Trailing 2-1 at the break the Crows scored two goals to claim the win against fifth placed Beaconsfield SYCOB FC and take Royston to the top of the Evo-Stik Division One Central.

Caretaker Manager Duncan Easley was forced to field a greatly changed line-up with his first team squad currently hit by injuries, illness and suspensions, drafting in cover from the Reserve team, but he must have been delighted with the performance of his charges.

Beaconsfield took the lead on six minutes when slack early defending saw Jordan Ajanlekoko strike home from 7 yards but Royston bounced back almost immediately when four minutes later a fine through ball by Luke Robins saw Ryan Lockett beat the offside trap and slotted the ball low by the advancing Jonathan Nydell in the visitors’ goal. However, poor marking from a free-kick straight after the restart saw the Rams retake the lead as Anthony Page placed a firm header high into the top right corner past the diving Will Norris. Beaconsfield could smell blood and almost immediately they had another effort saved by Norris and the resulting rebound headed off the line.

The game settled down with more committed action in the midfield with half-chances for both teams. Tempers frayed on 35 minutes when a dangerous tackle by Craig Carby on Ross Collins saw the Royston skipper react and the following melee was eventually calmed down by persistent referee whistling, resulting in a yellow card for both players. Half time score was 2-1 to the visitors.

Royston came out the livelier in the second half but despite being a lot more positive the first twenty minutes of play was scrappy as Beaconsfield looked to break up the Royston play by any means possible and seemed happy to sit back even at this early stage to try and hold onto their one goal lead. A change was made on 62 minutes with reserve team striker Dalton O’Brien replacing the understandably rusty Lewis Endacott and this added energy and impetus seemed to spur the Crows on. O’Brien’s first involvement saw him feed Robins for a first time shot that went over the bar and the increasingly lively Robins saw another effort well saved by Nydell.

The Crows were in the ascendancy as the Rams sat back and a Lee Wilson long shot went wide, an O’Brien twist and shot was blocked and a Ross Collins drive caused a half shout for handball but forced another corner. From this Lockett corner Robins soared above his marker and headed the ball high into the Beaconsfield net. Royston pushed on for a winner and the last ten minutes produced an exciting finale. With the visitors rocking and ninety minutes gone Luke Robins struck a shot worthy of winning any game and he saw his left foot power drive curl away from the keeper into the top left corner to the wild delight of the home crowd.

Team: Norris, Parr, Wilson, Bradshaw, DeLaSalle, Spencer, Collins (c), Edwards, Endacott (O’Brien -62), Lockett, Robins.