Match Report: Royston Town v Biggleswade United

Date Monday 2 January 2012
Match Royston Town v Biggleswade United
Competition Molten Spartan South Midlands Football League: Premier Division
Result Won 7-0
Royston Scorers Matt Standen(3), Collins, Edwards, Endacott, Robins.
Man of Match Matt Standen
Attendance 184

Royston saw in the New Year with a comprehensive thrashing of Biggleswade United at Garden Walk. Once again Paul Attfield had the players in training on New Year's Day in preparation for the game and the players delivered another fine performance, with the Christmas break producing two impressive wins with clean sheets.

Jason Beck returned to the side following a one game ban with Luke Robins dropping to the bench from the Berkhamsted victory being the only change. The pitch was quite heavy for the players but the pace Royston moved the ball combined with long periods of two touch football was too much for the United team and but for the woodwork and excellent keeping the margin of victory could and should have been far greater.

The Crows tore into the game and were ahead within the first five minutes when Matt Standen controlled a chipped ball from Kaan Fehmi behind the United defence and shot firmly into the corner from 14 yards.

United had plenty of the ball in the first half but failed to test Will Norris and really struggled to create any clear chances. Their best two chances both came from free kicks in good positions that were wastefully lofted over the crossbar. In comparison Royston always looked threatening and doubled their lead mid-way through the half when Ross Collins and Matt Standen played a swift one-two on the edge of the box with The Crows captain volleying home spectacularly from 18 yards.

The United side were then indebted to their goalkeeper Scott Waters who pulled off a string of saves before the interval. Tipping over a firm Kaan Fehmi left footer and a header from Matt Standen and a strong block when Ryan Lockett raced clear into the area. Standen was also unlucky when he beat the offside trap but shot wide of Waters’ near post.

The second half was very one sided with The Crows in complete dominance maintaining a high level of controlled possession football. Kaan Fehmi had the best two opening chances reacting on two mistakes to send long distance lobs towards goal with one striking the face off the crossbar and the other dropping just the wrong side of the upright. A third goal looked imminent and so it was when a good moved down the left opened up the visitors and Carl Edwards had time on the edge to curl a left footer into the bottom corner.

By the mid-way point of the half Royston had added a fourth. Ross Collins did well to react to some hesitancy between keeper and defender to present Matt Standen with the opportunity to fire home from12 yards.

With fifteen minutes to go Lewis Endacott firmly headed home a corner from Luke Robins and the sixth came from another Robins cross this time in open play, the quality of delivery from the left giving Matt Standen a simple headed finish from 8 yards to cement a well-deserved hat trick and Man of the Match award.

Robins continued to threaten down the left and was unlucky to hit the outside of a post from a narrow angle before completing the scoring in stoppage time with a fierce left footer into the corner of the net from 25 yards.

Team: Norris, Clemo, Bradshaw, Endacott, Beck, Collins, Edwards (Lawrence), Malins (Robins), Matt Standen, Lockett, Fehmi (Redford) Unused: Martin Standen, Easley