Match Report: Royston Town v Broxbourne Borough

Date Saturday 25 February 2012
Match Royston Town v Broxbourne Borough
Competition Molten Spartan South Midlands Football League: Premier Division
Result Drew 2-2
Royston Scorers Martin Standen, McGrandles
Man of Match John McGrandles
Attendance 153

The Crows dropped more points in their quest for promotion and in so doing dropped to third place in the league, the first time they have not been in the top two since August 17th. Overall Paul Attfield's side can have no complaints as they gave a low key performance with little urgency and paid the price against a spirited and determined opposition who fully deserved their point.

The Crows were completely off the pace in the first half but had an early chance when Kaan Fehmi half volleyed a decent move just wide from 20 yards within five minutes. Other than this Broxbourne had the urgency and enthusiasm to dominate long spells of the half, reacting on numerous mistakes and poor passing to win a number if corners and good situations around the penalty area. Unfortunately from their point of view they could not make any clear chances, lacking a decent final ball or someone with a killer instinct in that area.

Royston huffed and puffed trying to get a grip on proceedings and took a 24th minute lead from a set play Kaan Fehmi delivered a free kick from wide with Martin Standen rising at the far post to loop a header over the keeper and into the far corner.

The Crows tried to raise their game but continually gave up possession of the ball and paid the price for sloppiness in first half injury time. There was little danger when Broom picked up the ball 25 yards from goal but failure to close the player down gave him the opportunity to strike towards goal with the ball taking a huge deflection off Jason Beck and wrong footing Will Norris in goal giving him no chance.
Borough deserved their goal if very freakish and the trend continued in the second half although the play was more even.

For whatever reasons it was largely another half with a lack of quality on the ball to create clear openings and the visiting keeper actually played the 90 minutes with no saves to make. At the other end Norris had to superbly save low to his left to deny Broom a second goal as he broke into the area.

The only area on the day that Royston looked like they could be threatening from were set plays and this proved to be the case mid-way through the half with another Fehmi free kick being met by John McGrandles whose 16 yard header was superbly placed past the admiring keeper into the corner of the net.

It looked like the goal could be decisive but with 12 minutes remaining McGrandles was harshly adjudged to have fouled 30 yards out with the free kick turned into his own net by Martin Standen from ten yards under no obvious pressure.

Royston again tried to rally with McGrandles heading over, Beck powerfully shooting over from a half cleared free kick and Joe Clemo superbly denied by a last ditch tackle as he broke into the area, but in truth the performance deserved little more than the one point that was gained

Team: Norris, Endacott, Bradshaw, McGrandles, Beck, Martin Standen, Collins, Young (Clemo), K. Fehmi (Edwards), Matt Standen, Robins (Lawrence) – Unused: Plowright, A. Fehmi