Match Report: Royston Town v Cambridge City

Date Wednesday 25 January 2012
Match Royston Town v Cambridge City
Competition Cambs FA Invitation Cup: Round 2
Result Won 8-7 on penalties (1-1 After Extra Time)
Royston Scorers Robins
Man of Match Ross Collins
Attendance 180

The Crows recovered from their disappointing FA Vase weekend exit to beat near neighbours Cambridge City in a penalty shoot-out. Boss Paul Attfield asked for a positive reaction from the poor weekend defeat and he got just that with his team giving much effort to overcome City's threat.

The Southern League high fliers put a mixture of first and reserve teamers out whilst Paul Attfield was without John McGrandles, Martin Standen, Ashley Grinham and Tom Malins. Altogether six changes were made from the weekend game.

The first half was largely uneventful with both teams cancelling each other out. City were more eye-catching on the ball without looking particularly threatening in the final third and The Crows, who worked hard, were probably a little careless in possession of the ball and created little. Luke Robins was unlucky when he was flagged offside just before volleying into the net and at the other end Will Norris blocked a close range angled shot with his legs but chances were otherwise at a premium.

The second half was better from Royston's point of view with a slight formation change helping them keep the ball better. As the half wore on they began to severely dominate the game with a number of City players becoming tired and cramping up on regular occasions. City had to defend well and they did. Matt Standen and Ross Collins had good chances put wide and over respectively and just before full time Standen has a close range block superbly saved with the follow up being hacked off the line.

The introduction of Kaan Fehmi and Carl Edwards helped Royston gain this dominance which couldn't quite see them get what would have been a deserved goal and so the game went into extra time.
The same pattern of play continued with The Crows using their better fitness levels to gain control but still City defended well but occasionally chances were created.

Barrett in goal saved superbly well when Ross Collins sent an eight yard volley goalwards and Kaan Fehmi was unlucky to see his floated effort hit the crossbar. With just 2 minutes remaining Royston scored what seemed to be a decisive goal when Kaan Fehmi's cross was headed in by Luke Robins from 8 yards.

With the referee somehow finding five minutes added time onto the second period City scored with virtually the last kick. With numbers piled forward in attack The Crows found themselves under pressure not clearing their lines and a forward broke into the box to score from 12 yards.

So the game went to penalties with Robins, Edwards, Arin and Kaan Fehmi all converting but Jack Bradshaw missing the 4th kick. It meant City had a kick to win the tie but Norris saved their 5th attempt. So sudden death ensued and Norris saved City's 6th and 9th kicks but Ross Collins and Ryan Lockett both missed Royston's 6th and 9th also.

At seven all it just left the two goalkeepers as the last standing on pitch players to have a kick each and when Norris saved Barrett's kick it was left to Royston's teenage keeper to coolly score and take the plaudits for a nail biting win and a place in the semi-final.

Team: Norris, Clemo, Bradshaw, Endacott, Beck (A. Fehmi), Collins, Lawrence (Edwards), Young (K. Fehmi), Matt Standen, Lockett, Robins Unused: Plowright, Grinham