Match Report: Royston Town v Chalfont St Peter

Date Tuesday 21 August 2012
Match Royston Town v Chalfont St Peter
Competition Evo-Stik League Southern: Central Division One
Result Won 4-2
Royston Scorers Fehmi(2), De La Salle, Robins
Attendance 111
Crows MoM Luke Robins

A stunning second half performance from The Crows saw them turn half time deficit into a thoroughly deserved three points against a decent Chalfont St Peter side on Tuesday evening. The win gave Paul Attfield's side their second win in four days and albeit so early in the season, a second placed league position.

This game was played at a good pace throughout with The Crows side showing just one change from Saturday's win at Thatcham Town with Rhys Lawrence replacing the holidaying Ryan Lockett on the right of midfield.

Chalfont had much the better of the opening stages with Royston a little slow to get onto the pace of their opponent's game. A couple of timely defensive interventions thwarted presentable approach play but the visitors did take the lead from the penalty spot after Joe DelaSalle had tripped a forward in the area.

This seemed to galvanise the hosts as they upped their game with Matt Standen shooting straight at the keeper with an angled 12 yard drive. Royston continued to look livelier and were rewarded with their own penalty when Luke Robins was bundled over in the box chasing a long diagonal ball. Kaan Fehmi  coolly stroked home a second penalty notch in as many games.

Ross Collins was unlucky to see his 25 yard half volley from a central position sting the hands of the visiting keeper but at the other end The Crows showed some naivety dealing with a long innocuous ball down the left which was not dealt with and an excellent cross was met by an unmarked forward to head in from ten yards.

Royston returned with great vigour in the second half whilst Chalfont struggled to contain a now motivated side. Luke Robins raced onto a through ball bringing an excellent save from the keeper from his near post drive.

From the resulting corner to the far post Jack Bradshaw headed back across goal for Joe De La Salle to convert from six yards. Matt Standen volleyed an excellent Lewis Endacott cross into the side netting from close range and a Chalfont defender was lucky to stay on the pitch as he brought Fehmi to the ground when clear on goal which was inexplicably missed by the officials.

Not to be outdone Kaan Fehmi gave his side the lead with an excellent team goal with final contributions from Standen and Rhys Lawrence opening up the visiting defence to assist the striker's ten yard opening.

The Chalfont manager had to make substitutions and change his formation to counteract Royston's dominance and his move helped gain some stability and control back into their game. Will Norris had to make one smart block at a striker's feet at close range and a far post cross was met by a header that struck the home post with the  rebound somehow skied over the crossbar from inside the six yard box.

Royston continued to look threatening on the counter attack and from set plays. De La Salle nearly added another goal from an identical situation to when he did score but this time he mis kicked the ball before Luke Robins struck home his sides fourth goal from close range after Chalfont had made a mess of trying to deal with another set play delivery.

Chalfont pressed hard in the closing stages but the sheer determination and work rate from The Crows meant it was always going to be a big ask to create clear openings to get back into the game and time beat the visitors who were well beaten in the second half.
Team: Norris, Endacott, Wilson, De La Salle, Bradshaw, Collins, Edwards, Lawrence (Malins), Fehmi (Ingrey), Matt Standen, Robins Unused: Butler, Howard.