Match Report: Royston Town v Cheshunt

Date Saturday 30 July 2011
Match Royston Town v Cheshunt
Competition Pre-Season Friendly
Result Lost 5-2
Royston Scorers Lockett, O.G.

Another decent work out for two sides that tried to play good football throughout. Whilst the final scoreline was nothing to get elated about, Paul Attfield was without some eight players due to injury or unavailability all of whom could easily be in the main squad come August 13th.

The thirteen players that were involved had some good moments in the game but the team conceded poor goals and some of the players tired considerably by the later stages – a period that saw Cheshunt score four times in the final 20 minutes after Royston were leading 2-1.

The hosts started poorly against their higher grade opposition and conceded within 3 minutes. Arin Fehmi looked to have been fouled in the build up but the eventual cross and near post header were all too simple after that.

Royston played good football at times and the game opened out with both teams creating chances. Ryan Lockett headed over from close range and Matt Standen just failed to connect with a Tom Malins cross. At the other end Jorden Gibson made two very fine saves to deny the visitors and another header from a corner hit the crossbar. The Crows leveled mid way through the half with Lockett converting a right wing cross.

Level at the interval the hosts took an early second-half lead when a left sided cross was turned into his own goal by a defender under pressure. The Crows contrived to have their best period as they controlled territory and Ryan Lockett was unlucky not to extend the lead when his rasping half volley was turned away from goal by the keeper.

Cheshunt scored against the run of play mid way through the half with a swift counter attack goal but then Royston conceded a poor goal just two minutes later – a free header from 6 yards from a corner delivery.

This sparked the visitors into life and they took advantage of some poor mistakes in the latter stages to add two more goals to give a slightly flattering final scoreline . The final third of the game was a big disappointment for the Royston manager but with the squad threadbare for this game this would be considered to be another stern work out with only two weeks before the league campaign starts.