Match Report: Royston Town v Colney Heath

Date Saturday 26 November 2011
Match Royston Town v Colney Heath
Competition Spartan South Midlands Football League: Premier Division
Result Won 4-0
Royston Scorers Malins, Matt Standen, Lockett, Robins
Man of Match Will Norris
Attendance 169

A quite unbelievable scoreline for The Crows as with 20 minutes remaining the score had remained deadlocked in a close encounter but four quick-fire goals and some other close misses saw Paul Attfield's side sweep Colney away in a stunning late surge.

This was always going to be a difficult game with a gale force wind blowing directly down the pitch and with the Colney Heath determined enough and well organised to stifle the Royston team all over the pitch there was little given away. In fact the visitors were arguable the better team in the first half, using the wind behind them Colney pressurised The Crows all over the pitch and forced a lot of errors.

This enabled them to release lively forwards and in particular Ian Cooper was causing problems paying on the last shoulder and it was largely a ‘backs to the wall’ half for the home side.

Royston's cause was not helped losing Jack Bradshaw from defence within the first 15 minutes to a leg injury and he was replaced by Ashley Grinham in the left back role. 

Whilst the visitors controlled territory in the fast half there were only a handful of chances but what was created were very clear cut. Cooper for Colney has two very good chances on each occasion bringing fine save from Will Norris in Royston's goal. One curling effort was caught at full stretch by Norris and the second and best when Cooper raced clear and arrowed a shot with great power that the Royston stopper superbly tipped away one handed.

At the other end Royston were mostly cancelled out by good defending and a packed midfield but they did create two very good chances, both falling to Matt Standen. After one very good team move Standen's shot from a tight angle flashed across the six yard box and his best chance, when he beat the offside trap, was superbly blocked by the keeper racing from his line.

Colney had the last chance of the half when Cooper reacted onto a weak back header but his first touch was not good and Norris pounced on the loose ball.

So deadlock at the interval but Royston were working hard and with the wind advantage second half went about taking the game to their opponents.

This took some time as patience was very much needed but as the half gradually went on Royston began asserting some pressure and Colney's attacks became far more infrequent and less effective. One early chance fell to prolific Kaan Fehmi when he raced to Ricky Young's angled ball but surprisingly shot wide from 2 yards with only the keeper to beat. Fehmi also hit a scorching 25 yard free kick past the wall but the keeper was well positioned to catch the ball.  

As the half wore on it seemed that one goal would probably be enough and with 20 minutes remaining another free kick for The Crows led them to take the lead. Ash Grinham hit the free kick goalwards with the ball ricocheting off Martin Standen for Tom Malins to rifle home from ten yards. Coley gave another quick surge of pressure and one half cleared cross fell invitingly to a midfielder just 12 yards out and central but he mishit his shot wide.

This was to prove to be Colney's last positive attack as the introduction of Ryan Lockett and Luke Robins for The Crows swung the game completely in the host's favour. With eight minutes remaining Lockett raced onto Will Norris's huge clearance and whilst his chip over the keeper came back into play off the post Matt Standen converted from eight yards. Luke Robins was then twice unlucky to hit the outside of the post with two ten yard strikes before The Crows struck twice in quick succession in injury time. First Carl Edwards crossed for Ryan Lockett to bundle home from close range and the Luke Robins followed up his own well saved effort from close range to convert in the six yard box to complete the scoring and with the teams close around them dropping points it was a perfect day for the Royston squad.


Team:  Norris,  Endacott,  Bradshaw (Grinham),  McGrandles,  Beck,  Martin Standen,  Edwards,  Malins,  Kaan Fehmi (Lockett),  Matt Standen,  Young (Robins),  Unused: Clemo,  Redford