Match Report: Royston Town v Daventry Town

Date Saturday 1 September 2012
Match Royston Town v Daventry Town
Competition Evo-Stik League Southern: Central Division One
Result Won 2-1
Royston Scorers Fehmi, Collins
Attendance 170
Crows MoM Ross Collins

Two stunning goals from Kaan Fehmi and Ross Collins helped The Crows maintain their unbeaten start to the season. Once again the side had to come from behind but another strong second half performance once again justified the victory against strong opposition.

Daventry Town have been talked about as being one of the favourites for a possible promotion this season and their last few results had been impressive. However despite having the momentum in the first period they were largely outplayed by Paul Attfield's side in the second and The Crows were probably a bit unfortunate not to notch a couple more goals by the end of the game.

Will Norris was back in goal for this game having missed the last couple through illness and there was a debut for 18 year old fullback Taylor Parr, previously with Ely City, replacing Lewis Endacott who was still not fully fit from an injury suffered at Barton Rovers on Monday.

On a pleasant late summer afternoon it was the visitors who controlled proceedings in the opening half an hour with The Crows a little slow in most areas of their game. The ball spent far too much time in the air which was only going to the suit a bigger more experienced side but despite the visitor's early dominance there were no real clear chances created.

The opening goal from the penalty spot on 21 minutes came when The Crows failed to clear a ball into the area, not helped by the fact centre half Joe De La Salle was on the ground injured in the build up. The Daventry player went down very easily in the area under a challenge and despite huge protests the kick was converted by Liburd.

It was a half where hardly any chances were created and both defences were largely in control of the game despite the visitors having the highest possession statistic they found it hard to get behind Royston and for the entirety of the contest Will Norris in goal had no meaningful saves to make.

The Crows started to improve their game from the half hour mark and rewarded with a goal from nothing on 37 minutes. Kaan Fehmi pikcked up the ball on the right of the area eluded a couple of defenders and curled a quite delightful 20-yarder out of the keeper's reach into the far top left corner.

At this stage the goal was scantly deserved but once again showed that The Crows are capable of scoring at any given moment and the sides went in level at half time.

The second half was a completely different story but the visitors did have their clearest opening of the game straight after the restart when a long goal kick was misjudged at the back with a forward breaking clear but wastefully shooting wide with Will Norris racing towards him.

That was really as good as it got for Daventry who were from then second best against a side now finding the kind of pass and move fast paced football that has served them so well this season.

The Crows were also awarded a penalty on 55 minutes. Ross Collins curled a superb shot from 20 yards onto the crossbar with the rebound handled by a defender whilst under pressure from Ryan Lockett.

Unfortunately Kaan Fehmi's tame effort was easily turned aside by the Daventry keeper but The Crows were not to be deterred. A number of good exchanges into the area didn't quite fall right for Royston players but the control remained as Daventry players looked to tire from the pace of the game.

Tom Malins and Matt Standen were introduced giving added liveliness and the side were rewarded on 76 minutes with a stunning goal. A moved down the left was half cleared to skipper Ross Collins some 35 yards from goal, he didn't break stride before crashing a volley into the top left corner. Not many better goals would have been witnessed at Garden Walk for a good many years and it was fitting that it should be the decider.

There were further home chances with Matt Standen racing clear but being denied by the keeper and Tom Malins just failing to get a good headed contact onto an excellent Luke Robins cross.

A late surge by the visitors in the form of awarded free kicks and a couple of corners attracted high balls and pressure with the visiting keeper also venturing forward but the determination of the home side to deny these advances outweighed all that the visitors could offer and the full time whistle went giving The Crows more added satisfaction.

With Godalming Town victorious at Rugby Town by a 3-0 scoreline The Crows drop to second place in the table on goal difference, not that this is more than trivial at this time of the season, and with Guildford City are now only one of three teams to maintain 100% winning record so far.
Team: Norris, Parr (Endacott), Wilson, De La Salle, Bradshaw, Collins, Edwards, Lockett (Malins), Fehmi (Standen), Ingrey, Robins – Unused: Lawrence, Howard