Match Report: Royston Town v Hanwell Town

Date Saturday 22nd April 2017
Match Royston Town v Hanwell Town
Competition Evostik League Southern: Division One Central
Result Won 2-0
Royston Scorers Frendo(2)
Crows MoM
 Gus Scott-Morriss

Champions Royston Town put the season to bed with a low-key performance, but ultimately satisfying 2-0 home victory, over Hanwell Town, one of only four teams this season who had achieved a previous win over the Crows back in September, and getting their final points tally over the 100-point mark.

Steve Castle, with one eye on the Champions Cup match vs Hereford next Saturday, demonstrated his squad’s strength in depth and named a strong starting line up and an impressive looking bench with Kaan Fehmi and Ryan Towner being rested completely.

The game made a stuttering start not helped when on 15 minutes Ryan Ingrey took an elbow just above the eye that needed hospital treatment and he was immediately replaced by winger Rod Orlando-Young.

It was mainly home team pressure, but nothing penetrative, but with Josh Castiglione shining on the left wing with tricky runs that caused his marker numerous problems.

The first half was slow paced and dull at times and it took a yellow card earning foul on 38 minutes by Scott Bridges to add a spark for the wrong reasons.

Skipper Bridges made an excellent jinking run five minutes later to create a chance for himself but slipped just before he could get a shot off and then the visitor’s goalkeeper made a great save from a John Frendo power drive just before the half time whistle.

The half finished goalless.

Second half and again it was slow going and it was Hanwell who got the first real goal chance forcing Joe Welch into a superb save tipping over brilliantly on the hour mark.

Scott Bridges was substituted on 62 minutes to protect him for next week’s Champions Cup game and Matt Nolan came on as the formation switched to 4-4-2 and hobbled Spyros Mentis departed for Adam Watkins to get some game time two minutes later.

With some help up front Frendo began to feature more prominent in this game. First with a great chance on 77 minutes that he bludgeoned high over the bar. Then on 80 minutes he opened the scoring when Gus Scott-Morriss’ arrived late on the right to curl in a low dangerous cross and Frendo threw himself forward and his diving header gave Royston the lead. 1-0.

Frendo got his second on 91 minutes when this time Adam Watkins provided the cross for him to head in with Watkins doing some fine work on the left side and popped up a superb ball for Frendo to nod past the keeper. 2-0.

So it was another three points to end the campaign meaning that Royston scored 102 points in the season and took their impressive league goal tally to 121. On next week to the last first team match away versus well supported Hereford FC in the Champions Cup.

Team:  Welch, Scott-Morriss, Brathwaite, Bridges Sco (Nolan), Frater, Bridges Stu, Ingrey (Orlando-Young), Mentis (Watkins), Frendo, Powell, Castiglione.

Subs not used – Murray, May.