Match Report: Royston Town v Haringey Borough

Date Tuesday 20 September 2011
Match Royston Town v Haringey Borough
Competition Spartan South Midlands League: Premier Division Cup (R1)
Result Won 4-1
Royston Scorers Bronti(3), Endacott
Man of Match Kaan Fehmi
Attendance 98

A strong second half performance from The Crows saw them turn the game around after falling behind and deservedly progress into the second round and a home tie against Hillingdon Borough.

Paul Attfield made seven changes to the side that defeated Hanwell Town on Saturday and gave debuts to 18 year old goalkeeper Will Norris, former AFC Dunstable defender Warren Plowright and 18 year old ex Liverpool Academy forward Aldo Walsh.

With new partnerships on the pitch finding their feet Royston looked a bit disjointed in the first half and struggled to find fluency in their passing. There were some good moments but overall the visitors' goal was not tested and it was Haringey who looked the most likely to score with some swift counter attacking and neat passing. Borough took an 18th minute lead when Royston gave the ball away in midfield and a through ball allowed Bryan to score past the exposed Will Norris.

As the half entered its latter stages the hosts had a better period with Kaan Fehmi in particular looking dangerous and effective on the ball. It was Fehmi who helped create the chance for the equaliser on 37 minutes when an overlapping Josh Bronti ran onto a threaded through ball to shoot into the far corner of the goal.

Haringey had a decent shout for a penalty just before half time when a forward looked to have been clearly brought down and they had a superb chance in the second half when a forward reacted to Arin Fehmi's slip but the angled drive was superbly tipped wide by the young Norris.

From then on Royston went on to dominate. The rain made the pitch surface more slick and the passing and tempo in Royston's game began to find optimum levels. The visiting keeper was called into making saves and a number of other efforts were just off target.

Another home goal looked likely and it duly arrived on 72 minutes when Bronti picked up the ball from a half cleared free kick and spectacularly hammered a 30 yard half volley inside the motionless keeper's near post .

It only took another five minutes for Royston to kill the game off when Lewis Endacott headed in unmarked at the far post from a corner. Bronti completed his hat trick late on when he swept in from close range after a clever free kick routine by the Fehmi brothers created the opening, which was put away from close range.

Norris, Whitaker, A. Fehmi, Plowright, Cain, Bradshaw(Capt), Edwards, Bronti, Walsh (Endacott), K. Fehmi, Young Unused: Gibson, Collins, Easley