Match Report: Royston Town v Haringey Borough

Date Saturday 28 April 2012
Match Royston Town v Haringey Borough
Competition Molten Spartan South Midlands Football League: Premier Division
Result Won 4-2
Royston Scorers McGrandles(2), Robins, K. Fehmi
Man of Match John McGrandles
Attendance 503

Overall this turned out to be the most perfect day for Royston Town FC where the only dampener was the weather conditions but even that was never going to spoil one of the greatest days in the club's history.

Whilst the club worked hard to promote the game with the hope of record attendance the appalling weather conditions would have put many off but a fantastic 503 souls braved the elements and were treated to a fine performance from Paul Attfield's side.

Having won the league The Crows played like a team with little pressure on their shoulders and the quality in their passing game and creativity were back at optimum levels. In fairness Royston probably should have won by a greater margin but it was fitting to finish the league season with a good win.

The victory was built on a dominating first half showing and a three goal lead. There was plenty of good attacking football from The Crows and the visiting defence and keeper were under some intense pressure at times. Haringey looked particularly venerable from set plays in the early stages and Jason Beck had a free header from a Lewis Endacott free kick that he headed wide before The Crows took an 11th minute lead from another set play. Ryan Lockett's corner was not cleared and John McGrandles reacted quickest to shoot home from eight yards out.

Haringey had plenty of the ball as well but lacked a cutting edge crossing the half way line. Their tricky right winger caused full back Jack Bradshaw a few problems but his neat approach play wasn't met with the same end productivity and keeper Damion Williamson was only called to make one regular first half save from a 20 yard shot low to his left.

Royston continued to look the more likely and both Ryan Lockett and Luke Robins has shots well saved by the keeper with Lockett also having a close range shot turned onto the post by the keeper before the home side doubled their lead on 35 minutes with a goal identical to the first. Again Haringey fluffed their lines trying to clear a corner and John McGrandles diverted the ball high into the net from six yards out.

The home side’s first half domination was rewarded with a third goal just before half time when Luke Robins was played through at an angle to goal with his drive across the keeper being diverted into the net via a defender's foot.

The Crows continued with their same style at the beginning of the second half and added a fourth goal just five minutes in. A well delivered cross from Lewis Endacott was volleyed into the net by Kaan Fehmi from 12 yards.

Robins had three chances to add to the lead, once shooting into the side netting from his less accustomed right foot and twice shooting over.

As the game wore on Royston dropped the tempo of their game allowing Haringey to have some good moments with Williamson making a smart one on one block. The game scoreline was reduced with a neat ten yard finish off the post after the hosts were caught outnumbered on a counter attack and the visitors got another deep into injury time with an angled 14 yard shot inside Williamson's far post.

So The Crows played out a decent last game and finished with a five point lead over nearest rivals Dunstable Town and will wait to hear in due course which Step 4 League they will compete in next season.

Team: Williamson, Endacott(Clemo), Bradshaw, McGrandles, Beck, Collins, Edwards, Malins, Lockett(Matt Standen), Fehmi, Robins. Unused: Martin Standen, Grinham, Young