Match Report: Royston Town v Hatfield Town

Date Tuesday 6 March 2012
Match Royston Town v Hatfield Town
Competition Molten Spartan South Midlands Football League: Premier Division
Result Won 5-1
Royston Scorers Matt Standen, K. Fehmi, Robins(2), Collins
Man of Match Matt Standen
Attendance 99

There were stages in this game, especially in the second half, that The Crows’ football productivity was back to optimum levels as an accomplished attacking performance was too much for relegation threatened Hatfield Town on Tuesday evening.

Paul Attfield was without Ryan Lockett due to a broken nose operation but Tom Malins returned to the team after a couple of weeks out. It was actually Hatfield Town that started the better and were unlucky twice in the first five minutes when their pacey striker raced clear but once shot just wide and was thwarted by Will Norris on the other occasion.

Royston began to settle and started playing some fluent attacking football. They were rewarded with a 15th minute opener when Luke Robins was released down the left and his low cross was turned in by Matt Standen from six yards. The Crows pushed for a second goal and were unlucky on a number of occasions. John McGrandles ventured forward for two set plays and had one header cleared off the line and another struck the post. Kaan Fehmi also hit the inside of the post with a well-placed 16 yard shot and Tom Malins and Robins had efforts well saved.

The slender advantage was taken into the interval and after Hatfield had another early second half opportunity blocked The Crows gradually got on top and put together some excellent moves. Their lead was doubled on 58 minutes when a good move involving Matt Standen and Robins ended with the latter crossing for Kaan Fehmi to convert from close range.

Unfortunately the lead only lasted just over 60 seconds as The Crows switched off from a corner allowing a free header from eight yards that beat Will Norris at his near post.

This didn't deter Attfield's side and they restored a two goal cushion seven minutes later with a stunning twelve yard angled strike from Luke Robins across the keeper after being set up by Kaan Fehmi.

The remaining two goals arrived in quick succession with Robins again scoring after converting Jack Bradshaw's cross and Ross Collins beating a fragile offside trap to beat the keeper from the edge of the area.

Chances to score more goals continued to arrive, with Rhys Lawrence shooting into the side netting from a narrow angle and Luke Robins putting a penalty kick wide of the right post after being brought down by the keeper. Matt Standen also had a good chance from close range but just failed to get decent connection and the ball went just wide of the post.

It was good to see the Royston team get back to some decent form and their win sees them extend their lead to three points again over Dunstable Town with another home game with London Tigers on Saturday to look forward to.

Team: Norris, Clemo (Martin Standen), Endacott, McGrandles, Bradshaw, Collins, Edwards, Malins (Beck), Fehmi (Lawrence), Matt Standen, Robins – Unused: Young Redford