Match Report: Royston Town v Hertford Town

Date Saturday 5 November 2011
Match Royston Town v Hertford Town
Competition Spartan South Midlands League: Premier Division
Result Won 6-0
Royston Scorers Matt Standen, K. Fehmi(2), Bradshaw, Redford, Young
Man of Match Arin Fehmi
Attendance 210

A scintillating attacking performance from The Crows in front of a 210 strong crowd saw them completely overwhelm Hertford Town and but for some superb saves the scoreline could have been far more emphatic. The Royston Manager this week had stated that he was slightly concerned with a lack of spark in recent performances but there could be no such complaint from this game as the visitors frequently struggled with the pace and quality of ball and player movement throughout.

Paul Attfield's squad size is now showing some true signs of depth with players slowly returning from a lengthy injury list. Ryan Redford and Ryan Lockett both took places on the bench following injury lay off.

Royston flew into the game creating  waves of attacks from all positions and raced into a three goal lead within just 12 minutes. They were in front inside two minutes when the ball was half cleared out to Arin Fehmi whose ball back into the box was controlled and placed into the net in one blink of the eye movement by Matt Standen. Four minutes later the lead was doubled . Kaan Fehmi controlled a superb diagonal ball from his brother Arin, cut inside and drilled a fierce twelve yarder inside the keeper's near post.

If Hertford were rocked enough the punishment became more severe and Royston's intensity relentless in their quest. On 12 minutes Kaan Frehmi raced onto a through ball rounded the keeper and was brought down. The yellow card was possibly a let off for the visitors as the Hertford keeper was clearly the last defensive option but Fehmi sent him the wrong way from the spot to give The Crows a three goal cushion although The Crows striker had to be withdrawn with an injury following the penalty foul and was replaced by Ryan Redford.

The hosts continued to create chances with the Hertford stopper making superb saves from Jack Bradshaw, Matt Standen twice and Ricky Young, Edwards also unlucky not to score with a header from a superb Malins cross.

A chance for the visitors to sort things out at half time was not in Royston's script as they continued their dominance in the opening exchanges of the second half. A couple of early efforts from Lewis Endacott and Bradshaw just missed the target from long range before Bradshaw met Endacott's free kick with a thumping header into the top corner in the 53rd minute for a fourth goal.

Arin Fehmi was unlucky not to score when his cross – come – shot was superbly tipped a side for a corner and Lewis Endacott's dinked shot from a tight angle beat the keeper but came back into play off a post and just eluded Redford and Young's reactions. Another Fehmi cross was too good to defend but Carl Edwards just failed to get decent connection into the net.

The fifth goal wasn't long in waiting. 65 minutes on the clock when Matt Standen raced into the area along the goal line and squared for Ryan Redford to score the simplest of tap ins for his first Crows goal of the season.

Just three minutes later it was six when Ricky Young headed in a near post corner and it was really looking bleak for the visitors at this point. In fairness to them they did rally in the latter stages of the game but the hosts also looked a little tired in that period having put so much into the game.

Royston's young goalkeeper made three superb full length saves to keep out a few late surges from the visitors which means he has yet to concede a goal in his five league outings to date.

Overall a superb showing from the team who were warmly applauded at the end of the game from the appreciative supporters amongst the largest crowd of the season so far.

Team: Norris, Endacott, A. Fehmi, McGrandles, Beck, Bradshaw, Edwards, Malins (Clemo), K. Fehmi (Redford), Matt Standen, Young (Robins) Unused: Martin Standen, Lockett