Match Report: Royston Town v Hertford Town

Date Tuesday 31 January 2012
Match Royston Town v Hertford Town
Competition SSMFL Premier Division Cup: Quater-Final
Result Won 2-0
Royston Scorers Young, Lockett
Man of Match Ricky Young
Attendance 91

The Crows progressed to the last four of the Premier Division Cup with a first half strike each from Ricky Young and Ryan Lockett separating the teams. Royston's reward is yet another home game and a semi-final tie with Tring Athletic.

Paul Attfield rang the changes with six from the league victory at Harefield Utd on Saturday. Will Norris, Luke Robins, Matt Standen, Ross Collins and Lewis Endacott were all left on the bench and new goalkeeper Grant Fisher was given his debut for the team.

There was obvious doubt whether the game would get played to a finish with the frosty conditions getting into the surface before kick-off and worsening as the game progressed. This made life hard for the players as the pitch became extremely bobbly but the game was seen out to its conclusion.

Hertford set up very defensively in the first half but The Crows passed and moved well and were worthy of their half time lead. Within the first minute a long ball over the top was latched onto by Carl Edwards with the keeper just doing enough racing from his area to divert the danger.

Chances were few and far between but Royston maintained constant first half pressure with some good football and took the lead on 18 minutes. Rhys Lawrence broke clear down the left and crossed low into the area where Ricky Young controlled and shot left footed past the keeper's dive.

Hertford changed their formation but failed to deliver any attacking threat and The Crows got a second goal just before half time. Ryan Lockett received the ball, back to goal, just outside the area and flicked the ball over the centre half before half volleying into the corner for a fine individual goal.

The second half was more in favour of the visitors. Maybe their first half dominance and the scoreline were a factor but the Crows got increasingly sloppy as the half progressed and this allowed Hertford to generate some unnecessary pressure without forcing Grant Fisher to have to make any significant saves.

Jason Beck cleared a flashing cross shot off the line, a free shot in the box from ten yards was blasted wastefully over and a close range header from a cross was headed straight at Fisher. Had one of these chances been taken Hertford maybe could have got themselves back in the tie but despite creating little themselves going forward in the half Royston rather limped over the line at the end and will be thankful that their first half showing was the crucial factor of the game.

Team: Fisher, Clemo, A. Fehmi, McGrandles (Endacott), Beck, Martin Standen, Edwards, Malins, Young (Collins), Lockett (Matt Standen), Lawrence – Unused Norris, Robins