Match Report: Royston Town v Leighton Town

Date Tuesday 8 March 2016
Match Royston Town v Leighton Town
Competition Evostik League Southern: Division One Central
Result Won 6-0
Royston Scorers  Hull, Thomas(2), Scott Bridges, Scott-Morriss, Okay
Crows MoM
 Rhys Hoenes

It was one way traffic at Garden Walk tonight as Royston created countless goal scoring chances against a struggling Leighton Town side whose cause was not aided by being reduced to ten men after just 27 minutes.

With winger Rhys Hoenes rampant from start to finish the scrambling Leighton defence had no real answer to his speedy runs except to foul or impede him and the referee awarded three penalties during the match for the illegal halting of Hoenes.

Steve Castle rested Danny May tonight bringing in Gus Scott-Morriss at right back and he gave Ryan Towner a recently rare start in midfield.

It was full on Crows forward momentum from the start and the pressure tolled early and on twelve minutes a nice by-line seeking right side surge from Towner spotted Tommy Hull in the middle and Hull coolly slotted home from 8 yards for his first goal for his new club. 1-0.

Lots of chances were created with the Crows looking hungry and determined to maximise this fixture with both performance and goals. A penalty was awarded to the Crows on 27 minutes with Leighton’s Maxwell Ibeto seeing a straight red card for a last man challenge on Hoenes and Simon Thomas took penalty responsibility, but his spot kick was saved by visiting keeper Bradley Kirkwood.

More Crows half chances and more than one goal mouth scramble, coupled with over eager offside positions it was all Royston and they had two netted efforts chalked off by the linesman’s flag in a two minute period with five minutes to go in the half.

The score-line was increased in the 47th minute of the first period as a boisterous central surge and good pace from Ryan Ingrey exposed the Leighton defence and he drew his defender and side passed to Thomas who got his goal with a good accurate finish with an ironic glance at the man with the flag. 2-0.

Half time changes saw Castle protect defenders Chris Watters and Dan Brathwaite by bringing on Erkan Okay and Ryan Frater and the backline was re-jigged considerably – but were never to be really tested in this Crows dominated second half.

Home side dominance continued with Hoenes terrorising with the ball at his feet mainly down the left wing and only 8 minutes in he was again brought down and skipper Scott Bridges took the ensuing penalty and powered it past Kirkwood. 3-0.

Bridges was replaced by Martel Powell on the hour mark feeling a slight twinge and with one eye on Saturday’s big game was benched by Castle to protect this valuable asset.

Again, on 65 minutes, Hoenes was superbly unplayable and was predictably clattered and the exuberant right back Scott-Morriss asked for the chance and took a good confident penalty to score his first goal of the season celebrating with style. 4-0.

Leighton’s dwindling spirit was broken and a fifth was added four minutes later as Hoenes this time found space on the left and delivered a dangerous low cross for striker Thomas to bury. 5-0.

The scoring was completed in match injury time as Erkan Okay showed nice feet and sped forward on the left side of the box and finished off his run with a clever outside of his right foot accurate firm shot. 6-0.

It was an expected and duly delivered win from the Crows with a pleasing goal margin and an equally pleasing clean sheet that leads us to Saturday with the visit of AFC Rushden and Diamonds for an important top of the table fixture.

Team:  Yates, Scott-Morriss, Watters (Okay), Bridges Scott (Powell), McDevitt, Brathwaite (Frater), Hull, Towner, Ingrey, Thomas, Hoenes.

Subs not used – Dobson, Cohen.