Match Report: Royston Town v Marlow

Date Saturday 14 December 2013
Match Royston Town v MArlow
Competition Calor League: Central Division One
Result Won 4-0
Royston Scorers Parr(3), Endacott
Crows MoM
Taylor Parr

Royston Town FC continued their recent run of better form with a convincing 4-0 victory over Marlow FC, who themselves had been struggling over their last few games, but the visitors fielded a few new faces today to freshen things up. The Crows starting line-up was again similar, with Adie Cambridge starting and Sam Spencer on the bench.

It couldn’t have begun any better with the opening goal coming in the 2nd minute. It was a training ground corner routine masterminded by Martin Paine, with Kaan Fehmi floating the ball over to find left-back Taylor Parr unmarked, to power home a firm header. Six minutes later and the rampaging Crows were two up with Carl Edwards picking up the ball on the edge of the box and seeing his wide player seeking pass ricochet off a hapless Marlow defender only to fall in the path of Parr who gleefully blasted it left-footed by the helpless keeper.

A period of sparring followed with both sides trading offside moves and more determined forward surges by Royston won a series of free-kicks as Marlow looked to halt the home side progress by foul means or fair. The lively pass and move football from the Crows on a slightly bobbly pitch was good to see and with Ryan Ingrey, Carl Edwards and Adie Cambridge doing great work in the engine room it was credit to Marlow that they kept the half time score-line to only 2-0.

A slight blemish on the day was seen as Joe DeLaSalle did not reappear for the second half with an injury that might see him side-lined for a few weeks, but the more than capable Lewis Endacott came on and lined up alongside the impressive Jack Bradshaw at centre-back.

Royston demonstrated their eagerness to finish off their opponents knowing that the next goal was so important and Bradshaw smashed an early free-kick over and the on fire Parr put in a strong run and shot that was just tipped over. Eight minutes into the second half and Marlow’s afternoon fate was settled as Endacott found himself centrally in the box with time to spare and coolly and confidently picked his spot curling a fine finish high into the net.

The goal of the game to put the icing on the cake was seen with Cambridge making a great tackle and simultaneous pass wide to Kaan Fehmi who delivered the perfect ball for, who else, man of the match, Taylor Parr to thump home a header to complete a fine and rare defender’s hat-trick.

Duncan Easley used his remaining two substitutes, Rob Mason and Antonio Murray, replacing Ryan Lockett and Kaan Fehmi, to keep the forward based tempo and momentum up and despite a couple of further chances, notably a blocked one on one with the keeper by Mitch Bryant, Royston couldn’t add to their goal tally, but Easley can be pleased with the overall effort and shift that his squad put in and certainly delighted with a 4-0 win and another precious three points.

Team: Norris, Collins, Parr, Bradshaw, De La Salle (Endacott), Edwards, Ingrey, Cambridge, Lockett (Mason), Fehmi (Murray), Bryant.
Subs not used – Hammond, Spencer.