Match Report: Royston Town v North Greenford United

Date Tuesday 20 August 2013
Match Royston Town v North Greenford United
Competition Calor League: Central Division One
Result Drew 3-3
Royston Scorers Mason, Collins, Endacott

A disappointing result for The Crows in their first home league game of the season but a gutsy final few minutes saw them salvage a draw when defeat looked a certainty.

In both penalty boxes, on the evening, the home side were a little naive creating plenty of chances but not testing the visiting keeper often enough and in defence being punished by individual and collective basic errors.

Paul Attfield opted to select the same eleven that started in the win at Egham on Saturday but the side were undone within the first two minutes conceding two corners straight from the kick off the second of which was met by a free header from ten yards that rocketed high into the net.

The Crows gradually eased their way into the game and frequently got into good positions in and around the box but what chances they did create were mainly off target or straight at the keeper. The closest they came, just before half time, was when Craig Hammond got behind the visiting defence but the keeper blocked with his legs.

North Greenford themselves had lively forwards but never really troubled the home goal and their slender lead was taken into the interval.

Royston came out firing in the early moments of the second half with Craig Hammond and Robbie Mason both firing chances over the crossbar before on 53 minutes Jack Bradshaw released Mason through the centre and he slid the ball under the oncoming keeper.

In total control of the game the home side completely shot themselves in the foot four minutes later when a tame goal kick bypassed the whole Royston team allowing a visiting forward to run onto goal and score from an angle.

The Crows continued to try and hard and break down resolute defending but the final quality in the final third was too often found wanting and with seven minutes to go a 25 yard free kick flew straight through the wall and George Lawton could only parry the ball into the net to give the visitors a double cushion.

Royston threw everything they could into attack and got a lifeline with two minutes remaining when Ryan Lockett's shot was deflected to Ross Collins who scored from close range in the last minute of normal time.

At the other end Lawton had to make his only meaningful save of the night when he raced from his line to block a forward who had outpaced the home defence but The Crows got the equaliser their efforts deserved two minutes into stoppage time when Lewis Endacott's fine ball into the area from the right eluded outstretched feet and went into the far corner.

Royston could have won it with their next attack when Endacott again ventured into the area but shot into the side netting to finish the night's entertainment in front of a healthy crowd of 206.