Match Report: Royston Town v North Greenford



Tuesday 23rd October 2012


Royston Town v North Greenford


Evo-stik Central League Division One


Won 2-0

Royston Scorers

Edwards, Malins

Man of Match

Sam Spencer

In a game that was more industry than artistry, Royston Town ground out a deserved league win against North Greenford United on a misty and damp Tuesday evening. Goals from Carl Edwards and Tom Malins secured The Crows’ second home win in four days.


It can be seen that The Blues from North Greenford – interestingly playing in all red -have had a poor start to the season, but Royston caretaker co-managers Duncan Easley and Martin Paine prepared their side for a potentially tricky encounter. It was evident that the visitors had come to defend high, play the offside trap and look to catch their hosts on the counter-attack and in the first five minutes alone Town were caught offside four times against a well disciplined back line. The first real chance fell to striker Kaan Fehmi on ten minutes whose mazy run led to a left foot drive that was well saved and a good move involving Ryan Ingrey and Matt Standen set up Luke Robins for a header that was also blocked. The Blues’ offside machine was well oiled and this led to mild frustration from the Crows and the visitors broke quickly three times in close succession with their efforts being taken from distance and not really troubling Will Norris in the Royston goal. In the thickening mist the home side’s superior possession game finally paid dividends on 41 minutes and some strong work up the right by Standen led to a low cross that Carl Edwards arrived in the six yard box to strike firmly bringing a good save from Sam Mazurek only for him to see his parry fall back to Edwards who prodded it by the despairing keeper.

The second half brought a similar pattern with Royston playing the better creative football, being caught offside at regular intervals and despite another Standen cross being flicked just wide by Fehmi early on, the first twenty five minutes of the half brought limited chances on goal at either end. Norris showed his class on 77 minutes as apart from a few catches and clearances had had a quiet match, but he produced a top class point blank block save to retain the lead for his team. Seeing the quality dip a bit a double substitution was made on 80 minutes which saw Ryan Lockett replace Fehmi and Tom Malins swap for Ingrey. This master-stroke from the home bench saw Lockett and Malins immediately involved and following some probing play by Standen, Lockett crossed the ball from the left wing, low to the far post, to see Malins strike home with his first touch of the ball to put the game beyond the visitors.

Norris, Parr, Wilson, Bradshaw (c), DeLaSalle, Spencer, Edwards, Standen, Fehmi (Lockett 80), Ingrey (Malins 80), Robins.


Attendance – 101