Match Report: St. Margaretsbury v Royston Town

Date Tuesday 5 March 2013
Match St. Margaretsbury v Royston Town
Competition South Midlands Floodlight Cup: 2nd Round
Result Lost 3-2
Royston Scorers Lockett(2)
Attendance 35
Crows MoM Carl Edwards

Crows Stoned In The Cup

Holders Royston Town crashed out of the cup after a poor first half defensive display and a wonder goal from Ollie Sharman gave St Margaretsbury passage into the next round.

The Crows attacked from the off with Taylor Parr forcing a corner in the first minute. The resultant delivery was expertly cleared by Steve Barker.

The Bury placed the Crows under pressure and almost opened the scoring when Davy Edmee beat Parr and his shot bobbled into the hands of Will Norris. The home side were not to be denied and a minute later took the lead when pin ball in the Royston area forced a save from Norris, but this rebounded into the path of Edmee, who made no mistake from close range.

With Royston waking up, the hard working Jamie Steele pressed forward, setting up a chance for Carl Edwards which fizzed past the upright. A minute later the young Steele had his own opportunity for glory, but his shot was superbly blocked by Barker.

The Crows took advantage of a weakened right flank and had their equaliser after Standen beat two players and slotted his effort past Matt Deamer.
Royston seemed to have the momentum and a fabulous move involving Steele, Edwards and Parr ended with the makeshift left back ghosting a ball onto the top of the St Margaretsbury net.

Poor defending then cost the Crows after a foul on the home side. Ollie Sharman’s set piece found the unmarked Richard Worrell who gave the home side a 2-1 lead.

Again, suspect defending nearly gave the home side a further advantage with Brett O’Connor taking advantage of hesitant defending, the winger scampered down the left flank and his cross found Matt Hodges whose shot stung the hands of Norris.

The home side did extend their lead after a clearance found Sharman who let rip with a goal of the season shot. A marvellous effort and one that he will not repeat for a long time.

St Margaretsbury were still not content with this score line and continued to put pressure on the away defence with Hodges going very close on 40 minutes.

Three minutes before half time saw the Crows claw the deficit back after Ricky Young was fouled in the area. The reliant Rockett stepped up and placed his spot kick into the back of the net.

Manager Paul Attfield made changes at half time replacing Steele and Parr with Tommy Malins and Lee Wilson.

The Crows attacked at every opportunity but with a lack of end product and some stoic defending the home side were holding firm.

Royston’s frustration was summed up on 56 minutes after excellent build up play between Edwards and Malins, the ball fell to Spencer, but his wayward hoof went out to touch.

Spencer though, tried to make amends for this error in judgement and went on an excellent run. His shot though was superbly saved by Deamer to preserve the home sides advantage.

As the second half fizzled out, Royston ran out of ideas and the final whistle brought cheers of delight from the home fans.

Although this competition is not high on the priorities for Paul Attfield's side, it is a shame to go out of a trophy that we can almost call ours.

Royston Town: Norris, Endacott, Parr (Wilson), McGrandles, McDevitt, Spencer (Ingrey), Edwards, Standen, Lockett, Steele (Malins), Young. Subs not used: Collins, Reynolds