Match Report: Uxbridge v Royston Town

Date Saturday 29 September 2012
Match Uxbridge v Royston Town
Competition FA Carlsberg Trophy: First Round Qualifying
Result Drew 2-2
Royston Scorers Matt Standen, Spencer
Attendance 85
Crows MoM Taylor Parr

A frustrating afternoon as an up and down performance from The Crows saw them concede an injury time equaliser in a game they were well set to win on two occasions but their failure to do so meant a home replay on Tuesday evening.

The game will be largely remembered by the over-zealous issue of cards by the officials with twelve cautions and a sending off for each side in a game that never witnessed one bad tackle.

The overall perspective was a very open game that neither defence controlled very well and both teams created enough chances to have had more goals but from Royston's point of view they caused their own downfall with a lead relinquished twice.

Uxbridge had the better openings early on with their fast forwards giving The Crows defence problems.

Fortunately the finishing was not matched by the fine approach play. A trio of clear chances missed the target with The Crows also indebted to Will Norris for one superb save and a goaline clearance from a poorly marked corner.

Very slowly Royston managed to get some control themsleves and created chances of themselves before half time. Matt Standen had a shot from a narrow angle blocked by the keeper's legs and twice Joe De La Salle scooped shots just over with an outstretched leg from set plays.

Five minutes before half time the referee's first involvement was to send off an Uxbridge full back for an innocuous looking tackle that was hardly worth a second yellow card that was issued.

The Crows came out firing in the opening stages of the second half with Tom Malins getting particular joy down the right side with one such cross headed inches wide by Ryan Ingrey. A similar move opened the scoring with Malins crossing for Ingrey whose header hit a post with Matt Standen converting from eight yards on 53 minutes.

In complete control of the game Royston conceded a poor goal seven minutes later. From their own free kick they allowed Uxbridge to break and a couple of mistakes later a simple one on one was passed into the corner of the net.

The goal was conceded with a one man advanatge but the whole momentum was lost moments later when Joe De La Salle was sent off for another harsh second booking offence by the corner flag evening up numbers. From the resulting free kick a header hit the top of the crossbar and the home side started to get on top.

The Crows momentarily became indisciplined and frustrated. Paul Attfield made changes and a formation change introducing new signing Sam Spencer for a debut and forward Kaan Fehmi. Two twenty yard free kicks from Uxbridge were off target but again very slowly The Crows gained the initiative.

They began to threaten in the latter stages of the game and were rewarded in the 88th minute. A half cleared cross fell to Spencer 25 yards from goal who placed a well struck shot past an unsighted keeper.
Their control of the latter stages of the game had been rewarded but once again the self-destruct button was pressed with another high ball into the box being nodded down for an umarked Carter to sweep home in stoppage time and earn the hosts a 'give me' replay.

Team: Norris, Parr, Wilson (Endacott), De La Salle, McDevitt, Collins, Edwards (Spencer), Malins, Ingrey, Matt Standen (Fehmi), Lockett.  Unused: Reynolds.