Match Report: Royston Town v Oxhey Jets


Date Tuesday 28 September 2010
Match Royston Town v Oxhey Jets
Competition Spartan South Midlands League: Premier Division
Result Won 3-2
Royston Scorers Brinkman, Mulvaney, Young
Man of Match Ryan Lockett
Attendance 126

The Crows finally ended their barren run with a win against Oxhey Jets on Tuesday evening. The three points were not secured without tension though as Jets fought back from a two goal deficit in the last ten minutes with an injury time strike from Ricky Young eventually gaining the points.
Rather like most of their games lately Royston could and should have had this game well out of Jet's grasp by half time. The hosts controlled proceedings, moving the ball about well and looked capable of creating the openings that they did.
In defence the Crows sat deep allowing the visitors plenty of time in defence to try and unlock the door which they failed to do often enough and Royston frequently looked to counter attack from these deep positions.
After an encouraging start George Brinkman gave Royston an 18th minute lead when he received a well weighted through ball to round the keeper and convert from a tight angle. This settled the side although one lapse defensive mistake moments later let in a Jets forward but keeper Lee Robinson blocked superbly well from close range. This was really the only scare for the hosts as they began to create some guilt edged chances.
A superb run from Ashley Grinham ended with him rounding the keeper to present a golden chance for Brinkman which was somehow put wide and Ricky Young had a similar opportunity also rounding the keeper but missing the target.
Another good chance fell to Luke Robins as he beat a fragile off side trap but decided to shoot early despite being clear on goal and miskicked his lobbed effort well wide.
Despite the poor misses Royston were able to double their lead before half time when Luke Robin's low delivered corner was bundled in by Nick Mulvaney within the six yard box.
Royston maintained good momentum with the ball in the second half with an early Ryan Lockett free kick from wide finding the net but player's attacking the ball were flagged offside despite the ball not touching anyone.
Ricky Young also had another good chance when he raced into good space to receive a Lockett pass but again choose to shot early with the ball drifting just over.
The tide of the game seemed to turn mid way through the half with Royston losing Mulvaney to injury, the team reshuffle and some Jets changes helping to change the course.
Lee Robinson did superbly well to tip wide a pile drive 30 yard free kick that was arrowing into the top corner but generally Royston began getting more nervous on the ball and were often caught making poor decisions when in good possession. On a number of occasions the hosts had the chance to counter attack against a Jets side throwing numbers further forward but the poor loss of ball set up dangerous moments that eventually cost them the lead.
With ten minutes remaining The Crows lost the ball going forward and with Jets sweeping the ball early wide the resulting cross was headed in by Spencer Bellotti from close range. Jets sensed they could salvage something and won a late corner that was flighted to the edge of the box and superbly volleyed directly into the net from 20 yards by Chris Ingham.
Based on recent results maybe this should have deflated Paul Attfield's side but they went straight on attack from kick off and a swift move deep into injury time was worked to Ricky Young on the right side of the area whose drilled effort was mishandled by the keeper with ball going into the net.
The relieved Crows celebrated the goal with great vigour and with their being little time remaining the goal knocked any remaining fight from the Jets side as time elapsed to full time.
Paul Attfield commented: "The pattern of the game was reminiscent of other just lately. Dominating the first half with good possession and chances but failing to kill a game off when we have the opportunity to could have cost us but it was more important just to get a positive result, I didn't really care how we done it. Confidence has obviously been dented with recent results and our game got tight and edgy as the second half progressed which was understandable. In terms of chances we haven't had a great deal of luck in front of goal just lately so the lads did superbly well to press late on after their equaliser and Ricky's goal was maybe the bit of luck we needed and has been missing of late."
Team: Robinson  Endacott  Grinham  Mulvaney (Welch)  McDevitt  Collins  Edwards  Young  Brinkman (Hayes)  Lockett  Robins (Bronti)  Unused  Howard,  De Lacy