U18 Match Report: Bishop’s Stortford v Royston Town

Date Sunday 13 February 2011
Match Bishop's Stortford v Royston Town
Competition Herts U18 County Cup (Quarter Final)
Result Lost 2-1 on penalties (2-2 AET)
Royston Scorers Long (pen), J. Spencer

Royston were knocked out of the County Cup by a talented Bishop's Stortford Under 17 development squad, on penalties after extra time.

Royston started the slower of the two teams and allowed Stortford to gain control, however the majority of possession was comfortably dealt with by goalkeeper Daniel Plumb and his back four of Ben Robinson, Jahmel Mullings, Luke Reed and Matt Hodgson, and when Plumb was called upon he produced two fine saves.

Royston started to gain some momentum with Luke Hennesey causing the left back all sorts of problems with his pace and trickery. Tremayne Charles and George Duffin both had efforts saved easily by the home keeper. Moments before the half had ended a foul inside the penalty box on Carthy gave the referee no choice but to award a penalty, which Alfie Long calmly slotted home to put the young Crows 1-0 up.

Half-Time: 0-1

The second period was a more evenly matched half with both sides having good periods of possession. Royston gave away a cheap penalty midway through the half with the striker sending Plumb the wrong way to equalise. The introduction of Ryan Webb, Jordan Spencer and Ollie Pemberton brought a fresher attacking approach as Royston went on the search for the winner as extra time loomed.

Full Time: 1-1

Extra Time:

Stortford started strongly and within two minutes a perfectly weighted cross and powerful header gave Plumb no chance but to admire and gave the home side the advantage. Royston stepped up a gear and within minutes a similar type of goal was scored as Webb’s perfect cross found the head of Spencer who equalised. Royston once again went on the search for a winner but one lapse of concentration meant Plumb had to be on hand to produce another excellent save to deny the hosts winning late on.

After Extra Time 2-2


Royston lost on penalties with both sides failing to score their first three penalties with both keepers making some fine saves. Pemberton's penalty was the only one scored by Royston as Stortford scored their fifth to send them through to the semi-final.

Manager Jorden Gibson commented after the game “Both teams produced a good footballing performance today, to lose on penalties is never an easy way to go out, but the lads who stepped up and volunteered to take them showed courage and bottle, they should be proud of today's performance as a group despite the result”.