U18 Match Report: Chatteris Town v Royston Town

Date Monday 8 October 2012
Match Chatteris Town v Royston Town
Competition Thurlow Nunn Youth League: West Division
Result Won 2-1
Royston Scorers Hall, Mullings
Crows MoM
Harry Reynolds

Chatteris has always been a difficult place for the Young Crows to visit and Monday night’s fixture was no different. Royston's first half performance should have seen them go six goals to the good but a lack-lustre second half saw a narrow score line that did not reflect the amount of chances they had.

Royston travelled with a strong squad but again no consistency within the squad, Dejon Mullings and Mitchell Wooding were welcomed back to the squad and there was a starting place for Bradley Flanagan.

Royston really did get to grips with the first half and some swift passing saw them create plenty of opportunities throughout. In-form winger Joe Maude was causing all sort of problems down the left wing with his pace and ability to cross a ball, however despite his best attempts no one could get on the end of the crosses. Chances continued to go begging as Jordan Hall and Callam Turner couldn’t find their shooting boots. However Turner turned provider for Hall to score as his trickery in the box saw him hauled down and Hall was able to calmly slot home the resultant penalty.

Ollie Wheeler tried to show the strikers how it should be done but saw his two attempts go whistling over. Moments later Harry Gair's long range effort saw his tame shot hit the post to the relief of the home support behind the goal. Despite Royston's constant threat a lively Chatteris forward was on hand with a couple of chances but never failed to test Harry Reynolds in goal as he was on hand to sweep everything up.

H/T: 0-1

In reality the game should have been out of sight but the instruction to keep going clearly went unheard, as Royston lapse in concentration ten minutes into the second half saw Chatteris equalise with a simple long ball over the top giving Reynolds no chance and reason to fume at his defence.

Chatteris then gained a huge amount of confidence and Royston had to be thankful to Reynolds for his  smart routine keeping. Royston did however, despite a lack-lustre panicky performance, have chances with Mullings forcing the home keeper to make a tremendous save and Tyrell Stratton, Antony Lane and again Mullings all missing from close range.

With five minutes to go Royston got the win when a Stratton set piece met the leap of Mullings to power home to the relief of everyone. All they had to do was see the last five minutes out but Chatteris never say die attitude had a gifted chance but only to see Reynolds pull of a tremendous save low to his left and again fume at his defence.

Manager Jorden Gibson said after the game: “This was certainly a game of two halves, we dominated the first half and I’m still scratching my head as to how the game wasn’t put out of the sight. I asked for them to continue in the correct manner but we didn’t and we lost concentration, lacked desire but eventually came away successful. We have to learn to stay patient and keep composed when we are under pressure. However we are starting to get injured players back and we will continue to keep spirit and the people involved at this club whilst searching for consistency levels in order to get results and progression on the field.”

The result put Royston top of the table after three straight victories but it’s still early days.

Team: Reynolds, O'Mahony, Staley, Brennan, Flanagan, Purkiss, Giar, Wheeler, Hall, Turner, Maude
Subs: Lane, Mullings, Wooding, Stratton.