U18 Match Report: East Thurrock United v Royston Town

Date Sunday 27 March 2011
Match East Thurrock United v Royston Town
Competition Eastern Junior Alliance: Ingilby Cup (Semi-Final)
Result Won 2-1
Royston Scorers Duffin, Luzinda

Royston Town Youth progressed to their first final of the season in The Ingilby Cup against a tough East Thurrock side, who are currently sitting top on their respective league.

Royston entered the game full of confidence and belief after a comfortable 8-0 victory the previous week. Manager Jorden Gibson welcomed back Matt Hodgson and Daniel Bond to the starting line up and Tom Spencer, Marvin Luzinda and Shane Carthy into the squad.

East Thurrock started the stronger and forced Harry Williams in the Town goal to produce a fantastic save to keep his team in it.

The home team continued to pile the pressure in the first 20 minutes and but for some strong defending from Hodgson, Jamal Mullings, Luke Reed and Ben Robinson as well as another two saves from Williams, the young Crows could have been a couple of goals down!.

East Thurrock took the lead on the 25th minute when a quick long throw from the keeper side saw the swift striker run through on goal, but was once again smartly kept out from William who was unfortunate to see his save fall to the feet of another striker to send the home side 1-0 up.

Royston then started to gain control of the game, Captain Alfie Long asked more from the visiting side and they responded, Town began to protect the ball better and pressed in vital areas.

Royston finally had a attempt on goal as Daniel Bond was put through to see his shot comfortable held by the home keeper, Tremayne Charles had a shot which went wide to finally see out the half.

Half-Time: 1-0

Royston entered the second half with more conviction and desire in their play, and got their rewards when Charles' mazy run down the right hand side saw George Duffin lose his marker to nicely side foot the ball home past a helpless keeper.

The Crows didn’t take their foot of the gas and Bond saw another chance go just over moments later, with the game getting slightly heated some rash tackles saw the referee hand out a few cautions for the home side.

The introduction of Carthy and Luzinda produced an extra bit of presence to the side and it was Carthy's diagonal ball which saw Luzinda race on to finish and send the visiting side into delight.

Royston stayed strong until the end, and Thurrock's long throw tactic was easily dealt with and when the final whistle went, it saw the elated Crows side celebrate with a final to come!.

Manager Gibson commented after the game "What a good feeling, the work ethic of the lads in the second half was faultless. They've been fantastic in recent weeks and deserve a cup final to look forward to.’"