U18 Match Report: Royston Town v Deeping Rangers



Wednesday 31st August 2011


Royston Town U18 v Deeping Rangers U18


Ridgeons Youth League (West Division)


Draw 5-5



 A stunning fight back by the new look under 18 side saw them grab a deserved point at Deeping Rangers on Wednesday evening in their first mid week league game.

3-0 down at half time and 5-2 behind with eight minutes remaining the Young Crows laid siege to the home goal and got a late equaliser some seven minutes in to added on time.
The only down side from the visiting performance was a number of individual errors that cost the side goals but the heartened work ethic and technical ability shown to the end will be encouraging for the future.
The hosts scored within the first minute following a goalkeeping error and doubled the advantage six minutes later with a free header from a cross that hit the crossbar and sneaked over the line.
Royston recovered and began to play some good football and created some half decent chances but failed to test the home keeper. Deeping then inflicted another blow just before half time with a third goal just before the interval whistle when a winger converted from  tight angle following a long ball.
A change of formation at half time helped the side largely dominate territory in the second half with Deeping firmly on the back foot for long periods.
Mitchell Wooding reduced the arrears stabbing home from close range following a corner within four minutes but as the half wore on Royston were caught on the counter attack mid way through the half committing numbers in attack they were outnumbered allowing a simple finish for 4-1.
Immediately after a home defender headed a long ball past his own keeper allowing Jake Booth to run the ball into an empty net but another defensive slip moments later allowed a home forward a free run on goal and the clinical finish made it 5-2.
The visitors could have given up following this blow but they doubled their efforts and on 82 minutes Ellis King thumped home a fierce strike from the edge of the box to make it 5-3.
The hosts starting panicking somewhat and in the last minute of normal time a near post corner was headed into his own net by a defender. The Crows threw everything forward and a last ditch free kick massively into added time was not cleared and Elliott Burr strode into the area and smashed a left footed 12 yard strike into the corner to start off ecstatic team celebrations and gain a great point for the side.