Youth Match Report U11C 060211




Sunday 6th February 2011


Royston Town Youth Colts v Knebworth Youth Blacks


Royston Crow Youth Football League U11 Division 2


Won 5-0

Royston Scorers

Mick 2, Lewis A, Jamie P, Keiran

Man of Match

Keiran (Different Class)

Team   Rory, Joe, JC, JP, Brad, Callum, Matt, Mick, Tom, Lewis, Keiran, Tom  F. 


Today’s home league game was against Knebworth Youth Blacks. We know Knebworth have a good set up and excellent player numbers and we also know they are always well prepared and organised. We wanted our boys to be just as prepared for this potentially tough league fixture. The weather was overcast and dry, but very windy and there were stiff gusts blowing sideways across the pitch that would greatly affect today’s game. The playing surface was in excellent condition and this would suit both teams’ style of play.


We had twelve players available today with Foxy back, but we would start with the same line up that did so well last week and the boys lined up looking keen and excited.


The game started with the wind immediately a big factor as Rory’s first drop kick was blown straight out and we asked him to adjust his kicks accordingly. JP and JC set their stall out early at the back with some good solid defending, communicating well with each other and with Joe and Brad alongside them. An early offside decision went against us and this seemed to fire the boys up even more. A good move involving Mick, Callum and Lewis won a corner and a strong run by Callum led to a one on one with the keeper but the Blacks stopper did well. The opening goal came from a Keiran corner that he sent over with the wind and Foxy brought it down well and JP reacted first and lashed a shot into the net for 1-0. The second goal followed quickly and came from some strong midfield work by Matt who played a good pass to Callum who ran on and slipped a good pass wide to Mick who shifted his feet quickly and then sent in a good low and accurate shot into the far bottom corner 2-0. Tommy T was working hard up the right wing and doing some important break up play and Keiran was coming more into the game despite the wind taking the ball mainly over to the other side of the pitch. We won a free kick wide on the right and Mick went over to take it putting in a dangerous shot that went just over the bar but not deterred Mick got his second and the team’s third with strong run and a well struck shot that gave the keeper no chance for 3-0. A probing pass from midfield was threaded through and the alert Foxy ran on powerfully and his first time shot was well blocked by the Black’s defender. The half finished at 3-0 to the Colts.


The defensive unit were looking strong again today and great work from full backs Brad and Joe was halting most of the Knebworth wide play. Rory had come off his line quickly a few times in the first half to gather safely to ease any pressure and Andy, Nick and I were very pleased with the level of communication today especially as we had been working on this in training. Tommy T had had a busy half and Matt and Callum were keeping the centre midfield tight driving forward whenever they could. We asked for more of the same from all the boys and sent them out again.


Lewis was back on for Mick and was in frontline action very early. More central tussles were contested by Matt and Callum as the Knebworth boys had come out fired up. Keiran came into this half more as the ball was now blowing more over his side of the pitch and what a half he had. A great tricky run by Keiran won a corner that he sent over perfectly and the in-swinging effort hit the bar. More solid work from JC dealt well with the Knebworth attacks with some no nonsense defending and Foxy now on the right wing was doing the hard tracking back well. A good pass from Lewis found Mick on the left of the box but his snap shot went over the bar. Then Mick gathered the ball following more industry from Callum and his pass found Lewis whose shot went just by the post. A brilliant run by Mick up the left wing and he sent over the perfect cross for Lewis to strike home cleanly for 4-0. The scoring was completed with a superbly struck free kick by the excellent Keiran as his powerful right foot shot hit the back of the net for 5-0 and to run back for the restart with the biggest smile on his face you will ever see. Knebworth didn’t give up and put together a good move and shot on target that needed Rory to be on his toes to make a really good diving save and catch. Joe and Brad were again both magnificent throughout this whole game and their strong, persistent marking and clean tackling contributed fully to this fine defensive display and alongside the dogged JC and the solid and skilful JP look a very good and settled back four whose understanding with each other improves every week. Lewis nearly added a sixth but his well struck effort from point blank range hit the bar and bounced out and Tommy T connected with a solid header from a Keiran corner but it went just by the post. The game finished at 5-0 to Royston.


This was another good TEAM performance from the Colts. Strong defence and midfield work constantly supplied the strikers with chances on goal and the boys never stopped trying to play football. Special mentions this week for Callum for his determination and work ethic, for Mick who was unplayable at times and for man of the match Keiran, who had a great game building another brilliant performance on top of many others this season. Well done everyone.