Youth Match Report U11C 130311



Sunday 13th March 2011


BSFC Athletic v Royston Town Youth Colts


Royston Crow Youth Football League U11 Division 2


Won 1-3

Royston Scorers

Jack, Bruce, Mick

Man of Match

Joe (Absolutely brilliant all game against a tricky opponent)

Team:  Rory, Charlie, Brad, Jamie C, Jamie P, Joe, Tom T, Callum, Matt, Tom F, Jack, Lewis,Mick, Bruce, Keiran

It was back to important league action today following last week’s tremendous effort in the cup. This was the last game in phase one of the fixtures and we were to visit Bishops Stortford to play their Athletics team on a cool, fine and still day. The pitch was in good nick despite being rained on and having a few games already played on it today and we had a full and fit squad of 15 players to get involved.


We wanted the boys to keep their great league run of form going and we talked to them again about total concentration, playing football and talking to each other. We started with Charlie, Lewis, Tom T and Brad on the bench and went 4-4-2 from the start.


The game was a bit scrappy at the start with the boys looking a over keen as if they hadn’t played together for while and some of the early passes weren’t getting to where they were being aimed and it was obvious they were a bit pumped up for this game and the adrenaline was working against us. We urged them to relax. An early one on one chance fell to Mick but the keeper made a really good save to keep him out and Jack couldn’t quite get the rebound. Following a couple of early quick touches Bruce picked up the ball on the right and run on and sent over a good cross that forced a corner. A quick throw from Foxy found Matt and his run and cross found Keiran’s head but his good effort went over the bar. The scoring was opened about 10 minutes in with Keiran creating a bit of space and playing a lob pass up the middle that Mick helped on with a deft nudge and Jack ran on and struck it home sweetly for 0-1. It had become obvious that Stortford had a couple of useful players – notably their number 16 up the right wing who was looking fast, strong and dangerous. It was also obvious that we had the best man for the job marking him and Joe Burn was doing fantastic work – stifling, tackling, frustrating and stopping him getting any real shots on target – Quality.


We made a couple or personnel changes and kept the pressure on. Rory was called into action and made a good stop to deny the Stortford strikers. Skipper Callum was everywhere in this first half and his break up play was immense and together with Matt was trying to get the forward moves going. A break up tackle from Callum fell to Keiran who surged forward with his tricky feet working overtime and his accurate pass fell to poacher Bruce who prodded home with little or no back-lift for 0-2. Stortford kept up their own pressure and once again Rory’s good positioning made a tricky shot look an easy save. We finished the half on the front foot with a shot from Keiran going just wide. Half-time 0-2.


We sat the boys down and we couldn’t fault their commitment and work rate. We asked for more of the same and asked them to work on their combination play of doing the first thing well and the second thing better. We made a few more personnel changes – including giving Callum a well earned rest – and sent them out again.


The second half was very similar but not quite as frantic. The Royston boys maintained good control of the match and were always looking for the best football option and it was good to see. Lewis did some strong moves up the left and his pass found Mick on the edge of the box and he was being forced right, a change of feet opened up a left foot shot and he buried it for 0-3. This game wasn’t over and Stortford kept trying to get forward to get back in it. Jack was supporting Joe as asked up the left wing and quickly turned defence into attack feeding Lewis whose first time cross was met by a Mick header and the keeper made a good save – good football all round. At the other end Charlie, who was now in goal, made an unbelievable point-blank save from a strong shot, brilliantly parrying the ball onto the post and allowing JC to clear it – great stuff.


Keiran did more strong movement and his pass found Lewis who ran on and shot just over. Stortford got one back following a Charlie drop-kick that wasn’t met by the boys in midfield and the ball came straight back at us with their striker hitting a long distance unstoppable effort into the net for 1-3. Tricks from Mick up the left putting a great ball over but Tommy T couldn’t get a shot off. Keiran fed Bruce who set up Callum and his powerful long distance effort went by the post. Another Mick run and shot was saved for a corner and this well contested match came to an end at 3-1 to the Colts.


This was a game of total effort and positivity by the Royston squad of all 15 players. They reacted quickly to all changes and kept non-stop pressure on the Athletic midfield and defence. The better Stortford players were kept under control, much to their frustration and as soon as the Athletics’ self-discipline went the boys knew they had them. It was a performance of total determination and resilience from all the players and the defence of Foxy, JP, JC, Brad and Joe should all be proud of themselves today. Great effort by everyone – but special mention must go to the spectator’s player of the day who was the awesome Joe – for his all round tremendous game of total concentration, brilliant tackling, superb marking and break up play. When asked by us if he felt he had had a good game – he thought for a brief second and he just said “yes” – actions speak louder than words.