Youth Match Report U11C 200311



Sunday 20th March 2011


Knebworth Youth Blacks v Royston Town Youth Colts


Royston Crow Youth Football League U11 Division 2


Won 2-4

Royston Scorers

Lewis A 2, Matt, Mick

Man of Match

Callum (Relentless, Committed and Inspirational)

Team – Rory, Charlie, Brad, Jamie C, Jamie P, Joe, Tom T, Callum, Matt, Tom F, Jack, Lewis, Mick, Bruce, Keiran.


We are into the home stretch in this season’s league campaign and today’s game was against Knebworth Youth Blacks at their place and we travelled with a full squad to try and repeat the performance that had brought us a good home win in February. The weather was chilly but fine and good for football. The pitch was a bit uneven and bobbly, but a good size and level.


We lined up 4-4-2 with Rory in goal for the first half, Joe and Brad at full back, JP and Tommy T centre backs and Keiran left-mid, Jack on the right, Callum and Matt in the middle of midfield and Mick and Lewis upfront. The strong bench boasted Charlie, who would go in goal in second half, Bruce, Foxy and JC.


The match started with a real full on midfield square up with our four boys finding themselves up against the five man line up of Knebworth but they seemed to still be winning most of the early ball with Callum and Matt combining and competing strongly for everything. We won an early corner that was sent over but went through everyone. The game settled a bit with both teams trying to create forward moves and chances. A good throw in got flicked into the danger area and Matt reacted quickest by cleverly putting in an overhead shot that looped above everyone catching the keeper wrong-footed and finding it’s way into the net 0-1. Tommy T started what proved to be a good match for him doing sensible and solid work at centre-back with JP reading the game well and putting in some good early tackles. We got caught offside at least three times with the strikers looking a bit too keen and not looking along the line and Knebworth holding their own back line well. Keiran came over to the right to take a free-kick that he sent into the box and the Black’s failed to clear and Lewis took his chance and stuck it away for 0-2. Rory was doing some good sweeping from the keeper’s position and picking up the long through balls early. The Colt’s third goal came from a great ball by JP superbly lobbed over and this time we beat the offside trap for Lewis to run on and finish crisply for his second of the match and a good 0-3 score-line. Foxy was on now doing his usual reliable job and Bruce was upfront for Mick doing some good hold up and clever distribution play. Despite a brief Knebworth rally we started to dominate again and we were winning most of the individual battles all over the pitch. Tommy T was called upon to make a brilliant last ditch tackle to deny the Black’s striker a chance on goal and the half finished at 0-3.


The score-line looked good but we knew the job was only half done. We asked the boys to remain focussed and keep doing the basics right. Continued good positioning, tackling and break up play was needed as we knew Knebworth would not give up. We brought JC on for the hard-working Tommy T and gave Lewis and Matt a well-earned breather with Mick and Jack coming back on.


Knebworth did come out looking hungrier and the first ten minutes of the half saw them pull two goals back following two poorly defended corners. The first one going in at the front post and the second was a non-contested header to bring the score back to 2-3. We went to five at the back to try and plug the hole and the excellent Tommy T was back on and we started to look at bit more secure. A prodded shot from Mick was saved and cleared and a Foxy long shot went wide. We were defending better again with Brad and Joe playing well against the Knebworth wingers and a five minute period on consolidation helped all the team regroup and push forward again. The boys had the Blacks pinned back a bit and were putting good pressure on the goal kicks and from one goal-kick Jack won a strong header that set up Mick who stuck it away for 2-4 with about five minutes to go. Matt and Foxy kept the midfield strong and continued wide pressure from Jack and Keiran kept most of the action upfront and this good game finished at 2-4 to the Colts.


This was really good display of football with both teams competing well. The Colts took their chances in the first half and creaked a bit early in the second half as the Black’s stepped up a gear. The boys held it together and created some good chances to seal this game at the end. The will and desire to win was good to see and the team-spirit and effort is first class. This was a well played and well reffed match for all to be involved in.


Callum was awarded the spectator’s man of the match for his tremendous lung-bursting performance in midfield and special mentions for Lewis’ top class finishing and for Tommy T who had a great first half and did everything we could ask of him when he came back on in the second half. Keep it going fellas.