Youth Match Report U11C 270211



Sunday 27th February 2011


Royston Town Youth Colts v Potton Colts


Royston Crow Youth Football League U11 Division 2


Won 9-0

Royston Scorers

Jack (2), Bruce (2), Callum (2), Keiran, Tom T, Mick

Man of Match

Matthew (Strong, Fearless and Creative)

Team      Rory, Joe, JC, Callum, Tom T, Matt, Mick, Lewis, Keiran, Tom F,  Jack, Bruce, Charlie


It was another home league game today, this week against Potton Colts. We are getting close to the end of the first phase of this season when the league splits into the top seven and the bottom eight, so we are especially keen not to drop points against teams from the other division. It was a bright morning, but still chilly and the breeze was picking up slightly and it clouded over as the morning went by, but still it was a great morning for football. The pitch surface was looking good despite the heavy rain the day before.


We rested JP this week and had Brad off ill – but we had JC back, who had also been ill all week, so it was a bit of a changed back four with Callum alongside JC in the middle and Tommy T slotting into right back with Joe at left back. Bruce and Charlie would start on the bench but would both get involved when asked. We asked the boys to concentrate, get the ball down quickly and let us hear their voices.


The first half was a frustrating and scrappy affair with the boys trying hard but their efforts were not always rewarded, or the best decisions were not always being made. We did score after about ten minutes with a shot from Mick half-saved and with Jack alert and on the spot to tap home 1-0. A Keiran shot was also blocked but Lewis’ follow up went wide. A corner from Keiran was met by Mick on the volley but it went well over. A Mick corner was half cleared back to him and he sent it over but Callum’s flying header went just wide. A fierce shot from Keiran brought a great finger tip save over the bar from the Potton keeper – great stuff all round. Rory did well saving safely from a Potton break and shot on goal. The half finished at 1-0 to the Royston brand of Colts.


This was 100mph football with no-one really taking control – they were all obviously trying hard but it wasn’t quite clicking. Andy and I decided to switch things round a bit. We asked Foxy to drop back to right back, Tommy T to go to centre-back alongside JC and this let Callum step forward into midfield alongside Matt. Jack had a blow for Lewis to go on the left and Keiran came over to the right wing. Bruce was on upfront alongside Mick and Charlie went in goal for Rory. We asked for continued effort and sent them out again.


Matthew continued his excellent match by completely bossing the midfield and with Callum kept non-stop pressure on the Potton middle third. A forward move forced a handball just outside the box and Keiran stepped up and sent a lovely strike over the wall and into the net for 2-0. Joe pushed on and a long shot from him went just wide. We were now playing football as we know we can and a fine passing move between Matt and Lewis on the left fed Mick who ran onto a top Matt pass and finished off the move for 3-0. Tommy T got on the score-sheet coming up for a corner and stabbing home a shot for 4-0. Two good moves involving Mick and Bruce led to two well finished goals from the impressive Bruce for 5-0 and 6-0 and Callum imposed himself on the game first finishing a Keiran corner for 7-0 and then connecting really well on the volley to a Lewis corner for 8-0. The scoring was completed with Jack collecting a pass from Bruce, following a strong run, and burying it for 9-0.


Andy, Nick and I were really pleased with this second half performance and so were all the boys. Their efforts and hard work had been rewarded with good goals compared to the first half and they had got the final result they deserved. Steve Jackson, Chairman of Royston Town Football Club, presented the man of the match award for a great and “terrier like” display from Matt in midfield. Special mentions for Keiran and Joe and thanks for the good work by all who were asked to go into defence, especially Foxy who did a great job at right-back in the second half.