Youth Match Report – U11C League Cup Qtr Final 060311



Sunday 6 March 2011


Royston Town Youth Colts v Baldock Town Templars


Royston Crow Youth Football League U11 League Cup Quarter Final


Lost 2-5

Royston Scorers

Mick, Keiran

Man of Match

The Whole Team

Team Rory, Joe, JC, JP, Callum, Tom T, Matt, Mick, Lewis, Keiran, Tom F,  Jack, Bruce, Brad.


Cup week this week and we welcomed Baldock Town Youth from Division 1 to the Heath on a dry, calm but chilly morning that was perfect for football. Charlie was cup-tied this week, but we had a squad of 14 players and they all looked fit and healthy despite the various bugs that seem to be doing the rounds.


Baldock are fourth in their division and look to be having a reasonably good season. Reports on their games led us to believe they were a strong and physical team so we prepared the boys for this type of game. We started at 4-5-1 with Rory in goal, a back four of Foxy, Joe, JP and JC, Midfield of Keiran, Tommy, Callum, Matt and Jack with Mick upfront on his own. We had a strong bench of Bruce, Lewis and Brad who could slot in when needed.


The first half was initially a bit hectic but settled into a well contested tussle with both teams getting stuck in and the five man midfield was working hard against some big and strong opponents. The boys grabbed the lead following a good pass from midfield finding Mick who had two bites of the cherry to put it in the net 1-0. The closing down and tackling from all the defence and midfield was first class but the lack of distance from clearances were putting themselves under extra pressure and we asked for more power. Baldock were trying long ball tactics and had a couple of good moves and efforts on goal, one being cleared brilliantly off the line by JP. A foul on the edge of the Baldock box brought a free-kick from Mick but his effort went wide. Good work by all the defence – especially Foxy playing at right back –  were keeping most of the Baldock efforts from distance and it was a good cup-tie to be involved with. Another last ditch goal-line clearance from JP was needed as a couple of times the boys let the ball bounce from long punts from the Baldock boys. A cracking pass from Keiran fed Mick but he was tackled just before he could get a shot off. Baldock got equal just before half–time as the ball was won in the tackle but no real clearance was made and the ball fell straight to the Baldock striker who shot home well for 1-1. We kept up some good pressure all the way until half-time with Mick having a shot saved, a Tommy T effort that went wide and another shot from the boys this time being cleared off their goal-line when it looked in from a distance. The exciting half finished at 1-1.


We sat the boys down and told them we were really pleased with their all round shape and work-rate. We talked about clearing their lines, not letting the ball bounce and taking the pressure off the goal. We changed to 4-4-2 with Bruce, Lewis and Brad all coming on for Mick, Jack and JP and sent them out again.


Rory was called into early action and parried a shot for a corner. The resulting corner was defended badly and it snuck in at the front post giving Baldock an early second half lead 1-2. This shock seemed to spur the boys on and they really started to play some excellent football, keeping possession well and spreading the ball about brilliantly, changing the angle of attack really well and trying to create chances on the Baldock goal. This was Royston’s best part of the game and this period of good football forced a foul on the edge of the box and Keiran stepped up and struck a fantastic effort into the net giving the Baldock keeper no chance 2-2. Mick had a one on one chance with the keeper that he hit straight at him and the goalie grabbed the loose ball. Joe and Foxy were continuing to do good full back work and the midfield were keeping tight and strong against their opposite numbers. Unfortunately, we conceded a penalty which was buried for 2-3 and we asked all the boys for more effort. We left it five minutes as Baldock sat back a bit to see if we could bounce straight back but Baldock were battling well and making it hard for us to break them down so we changed to three at the back to chase this game but no real efforts on goal were created despite some hard work and Baldock defended their lead well. Baldock grabbed two late goals as we stretched things even further looking for the equaliser that didn’t come and the game ended at 5-2 to the visitors.


This was a really good cup match against a strong, big and physical side. We did have chances on goal but they were fewer than the boys have been used to and it demonstrates to them all that we have to take our chances. We felt we played the better football on the day, especially in the second half, but were beaten by a well organised and strong first division side that are not fourth in a very competitive league for no reason. We felt the ultimate score-line didn’t really show the closeness of the game but Baldock were deserved winners on the day. At the end of the match we talked about individual errors affecting tight games like this and agreed that this happens at all levels of football, but it is how they react to these mistakes that is more important. Overall we were pleased with the commitment and effort all the boys put in and on another day it might have gone our way. The whole team were awarded the spectator’s player of the day and we wished Baldock all the best in the next round.


As they say – we can now concentrate on the league.