Youth Match Report: U13 Colts v Arbury Aces 091212



Sunday 9th December 2012


Royston Town Youth Colts v Arbury Aces


Cambridge & District Colts League U13 Division A


Won 8-2

Royston Scorers

Mick 4, Tom T, Callum, Jonah, Keiran

Man of Match

Jake (Determined, Dominating & Committed)

Team – George, Jonah, Joe, Olly, Kyle, Tommy T, Callum, Jake, Jordan, Mick, Keiran, Lewis.


After last week’s call off due to frost it was good to get this game on – I had set a slightly later kick off just in case – but the ground was perfect and the only weather factor was a stiff breeze blowing diagonally across the pitch.


We were without Adam today and still had Foxy out with his long term injury but we had 12 players eager for a game after their enforced week off.


We knew the swirling wind would be a factor in this match and kicked against it in the first half. We asked the boys to get the ball on the ground, play their passing game and win first, second and third loose ball. The boys started lively and put together some early chances on goal. Jordan found Keiran whose early shot was blocked and Mick set up Jordan who shot wide. The first goal came from Keiran doing some good work on the right by-line and pulling it back for Tommy to finish well. 1-0.With the wind forcing the ball left we were working well up the flank with Mick, Tom and Jake combining well and some good dangerous crosses being sent over. Jordan had a good effort saved. The second goal came from a half clearance across the goal that Keiran pounced on and put in a good shot that was well saved but Mick was on hand to strike home with his right foot. 2-0. The boys were totally dominating this match despite being against the wind but were failing to convert their many chances their pressure was bringing. Arbury started to get a foothold and forced George into making a couple of saves with one being a good stop against a well struck free-kick. Arbury got one back when a corner wasn’t cleared and as if in slow motion the ball sat in the 6 yard box and was prodded home. 2-1. Another set-piece caused problems and the boys found themselves level at 2-2 despite bossing this game and creating numerous chances but unable to convert this pressure into a game winning lead. Half-time 2-2.


Andy, Keith and I were not unhappy with this first half, the wind had played its part and despite being level the boys had competed for every ball and played some lovely football that had created clean chances on goal and on another day we may have gone in 6-2 up. Arbury had showed tremendous spirit and had converted their only two real chances into scrappy goals to keep themselves in this game. We asked for more effort, more football and sent them out again.


The second half brought more good passing and movement and efforts on goal and Jordan was coming more into this match and his movement started to cause Arbury trouble. A Mick long shot brought a corner that he went over to take and sent over a fine ball that Keiran shot home well to re-take the lead. 3-2. Jake had a shot saved and a Mick effort went over the bar. Arbury had a couple of speedy breaks that were well dealt with by Olly and Kyle and George made a good save to keep them out. Callum put a long shot over. Mick made it four with a good powerful run on and accurate finish. 4-2. A free kick was awarded and Mick took this sending a low shot round the wall, through defenders and attackers alike, to find the net. 5-2. Royston were now totally in control and playing some good stuff and Jordan was now hitting top gear. With ten minutes to go Jake and Jordan combined well but shot wide and Jordan set up Callum for a shot that the Arbury keeper caught well. A Jordan cross was parried for a corner and Mick sent it over for Callum to meet firmly and head home cleanly. 6-2. A good move involving Jonah and Callum set up Mick, who had now found his range, for his fourth. 7-2. and Jonah completed the scoring with a intelligent and cheeky flick from a dangerous cross by Joe after Joe had made a marauding run up the left. 8-2.


This game was won with perseverance. The boys played Arbury and the weather in the first half and did really well, creating lots of good football chances. In the second half they remained patient and were far more clinical in front of goal. Jake and Callum dominated the midfield and pushed the team forward at all times. Kyle – showing some great foot-work – and Olly did brilliantly in these conditions against a sometimes lively forward line. We needed this game to get back into it and we look forward to the big match versus Teversham next week.


P9 W8 L1 F63 A9