Youth Match Report: U13 Colts v Milton Colts Sky (League Cup Semi Final) 210413



Sunday 21st April 2013


Royston Town Youth Colts v Milton Colts Sky


Cambridge & District Colts League Cup Semi Final


Won 6-3

Royston Scorers

Mick 2, Jordan 2, Callum, Adam

Man of Match

Callum (tremendous first half – leading by example)

Team   George, Jonah, Joe, Kyle, Olly, Jake, Callum, Keiran, Jordan, Adam, Mick, Tom T, Lewis.


It seems a long time since we played West Wratting in the quarter-final of this competition and I know the boys were looking forward to this one. We had played Milton in a pre-season friendly and won quite easily but they are having a great season, high-lighted by running Newmarket close in the County Cup semi-final, looking good in their own division and most impressively beating the strong Teversham side in an earlier round of this cup competition. We knew we were going to be in for a competitive match. The weather was warm and bright and the pitch was in excellent condition.


The boys started strongly kicking with the very slight breeze and putting the Milton goal under early pressure. Right winger Jordan had two excellent early chances to open the scoring but saw his first effort saved and the second go just wide. Keiran was stroking the ball about nicely to both wings and Adam and Jordan had both started extremely lively. On six minutes Callum chased onto a 50/50 through ball to unfortunately collide with the Milton keeper who saved bravely but took a big knock. The referee stopped the game while an ambulance was called and we were delayed approximately 25 minutes while careful medical attention was undertaken. The goalie was taken to hospital and a text from the Milton manager late Sunday informed me that he was being treated for a broken wrist. We all wish Leon a speedy recovery and hope to hear he is back in action soon.


The game resumed and both teams seemed unfazed by the delay as they all got back to top speed action straight away. Again Jordan demonstrated his tremendous pace and again his effort was just off target. George dealt with a free-kick well and the defence of Olly, Kyle, Jonah and Joe were marking and clearing really well. The scoring was opened with a speedy run up the wing by Jordan and a superb cross that Mick shaped his body well and buried it in the net. 1-0. The brilliantly determined Jordan had another shot saved and cleared for a corner. Mick’s accurate corner was met by Callum but his header went just wide. Again Jordan was causing them all sorts of problems and a Mick long throw in was met in the box by a firm low on target shot by Jordan and this was blocked back to the lurking Adam who made no mistake stabbing it home. 2-0. A Keiran quick throw found Mick who quickly span and his clever shot shaved the bar and went over. George made another good stop from a long ball, run on and shot from the Milton striker and Olly cleared well. Another throw in this time found Callum whose fierce powerful shot rattled the bar. Adam was looking great on the left working hard and effectively and his pick up and pin-point low through ball found Mick who ran on strongly past his marker and he crossed low for Jordan to bury it – well done mate I knew it would come. 3-0. The rampant Royston made it four as Jordan now had his eye in. An accurate Callum cross was met by Jordan who drove a low firm shot coolly into the corner of the net. 4-0.


Half-time. Whilst the score-line and possession had been mostly black and white we knew this game wasn’t over. We urged the boys not to stop playing in this exciting and dominant way and to keep tight and defend as well as they had in the first 35 minutes. Andy, Keith and I knew that

Milton would have a go with effectively nothing to lose and we asked our boys to be strong.


The second half started with Milton showing much more urgency and this change of pace rattled the Royston boys more than it should have. A missed clearance put George under pressure but he saved well. A poor goal kick came straight back at us and a clumsy push brought a penalty to Milton and their guy struck it home low and accurately giving George no chance. 4-1. Mick put a shot wide. Another hurried missed clearance and it was 4-2. It has to be said that the fantastic Olly redeemed himself with an unbelievable acrobatic game saving clearance off the line from a long looping cross/shot – great stuff mate!. A Milton free-kick went just over. More good full on pressure from Milton and again uncharacteristically sloppy defending and it was 4-3 in this exciting cup-tie. Re-arrangement was called for and we put Keiran back on in a holding role and Joe stepped up to lead his unravelling defence forward. The action slowly edged back up the Milton end and some great closing down work by Mick forced a corner from nothing. Keiran didn’t let us down with his superb delivery and skipper Callum met it with a powerful direct header home to break the Milton hearts. 5-3. It was now mainly Royston again and Mick sealed their fate finishing a brilliant Adam run and selfless square pass with a sublime first time accurate chip over the goalkeeper. 6-3. Milton had one last go and George saved well pushing a snap-shot wide. The referee’s whistle ended our bliss/agony and I could breathe again.


It was a really good cup-tie dominated by our boys in the first half and with Milton showing their brilliant never say die attitude and their have a go resilience early in the second period and with the Royston players taking a bit and then re-grouping to show their tremendous spirit and undisputed will to win. I believe this was a fair match result but at the end of the seventy minutes the boys knew they had been in a really good and close game.


We never really awarded a game day man of the match award as the whole team had done their bit and we were so pleased with all of them, but special mentions must go to Callum for his first half lung bursting performance, Adam who was great through-out showing skills, touches and passes any player would be proud of, Jordan who had their defence gasping for air in the first half, Keiran who steadied the ship when needed and showed his presence of mind in a tough role, George for a couple of important saves, the whole defence who struggled at times in the second half but kept going and never stopped trying and for my boy Mick for brief moments of sheer class that would grace any pitch. Well done to all our brilliant players for their efforts in this match and so far this season – keep it going – lets finish it off in style.



The final is on Sunday 5th May – 2pm kick off at The Cambridge Stadium, Trumpington Road, Cambridge CB2 2AQ – put it in your diaries