Youth Match Report: U13 Colts v West Wratting Youth 030213 (League Cup Quarter Final)



Sunday 3rd February 2013


Royston Town Youth Colts v West Wratting Youth


Cambridge & District Colts U13 League Cup Quarter Final


Won 5-0

Royston Scorers

Mick 4, Adam 1

Man of Match

Mick (Suberb Movement, influential and clinical finishing)


Team – George, Jonah, Joe, Kyle, Keiran, Callum, Jake, Jordan, Adam, Tommy, Mick, Lewis.


After a long weather enforced lay-off – last game 16th Dec – the boys got back to business with a really good team performance against a spirited West Wratting side on a cold and windy morning. The pitch was in good condition and all the squad looked pleased to be finally playing again despite the extreme elements. We lost the influential Olly to illness on the morning, but still had a good squad of 12 players.


We found ourselves playing against the wind in the first half and we asked the boys to be strong in their tackles, get the ball on the ground, watch for the swirling long balls and see where it got us and we would re-group at half time.


It was tough for both teams to get hold of the ball in the first ten minutes as possibly no-game rustiness and the weather played their part. The Royston boys seemed to settle first and Jordan had a sharp lob shot that had beat the keeper headed off the line. George was called upon to make a good save from a Wratting move and shot and Jordan put a cross over to see Mick shoot just wide.


We had asked Keiran to play at centre-half and he was marshalling the defence well. He stepped up to take a 25 yard free-kick and his first effort was half-blocked but he got to the rebound first and put over a second ball that eluded the defence to find Mick at the far post who turned inside and slotted it away well for the only goal of the half. 1-0.


It was a well-fought half of difficult football with the defence and midfield working hard to compete at all levels. Sometimes the ball was not moved on quick enough but we could not fault their commitment and endeavour. Joey, Kyle, Keiran and Jonah were tracking back well, watching the ball at all times and containing their opponents against the wind brilliantly. Keiran and George were kicking well against the wind, getting the restarts as high up the pitch as possible. We lost Jonah to an injury and Lewis came on and set about his task really well at right back. Callum and Jake were striving to control the game from centre midfield in their usual combative way and the scrappy, but industrious, half came to an end at 1-0 to Royston.


We were really pleased with the team effort and score-line. With Jonah still feeling the effects of his knock we sent them out again without any changes, urging them to move the ball quicker, keep it on the ground and to not be afraid to have a shot in these swirling conditions.


The Royston boys totally dominated the second half, pinning the hard-working West Wratting boys in their own half for much of the period. A fine footballing move brought the second goal. Mick found Tommy who set up Adam to strike home a firm left foot shot. 2-0. George made another good catch following a Wratting break away and up the other end the visitor’s keeper couldn’t hold a high ball and Mick got round the back to stab it home. 3-0. Jordan was coming more and more into this game as Jake was winning good ball and sending it wide well. The goal of the game came from some top class work by left back Joe who tackled well, surged on and sent a pin-point perfect pass through to Mick who ran on and blasted an unstoppable shot by the Wratting keeper. 4-0. We swapped the hard-working Callum back to centre-half pushing Keiran into midfield and brought Jonah back on for Tommy, switching Lewis to striker and asked them for continued effort. Jake put a shot just wide and Jordan put a couple of good runs in and was causing his marker lots of problems. The fifth goal came from some good work by Adam putting in a good shot that the keeper did well to parry only to see it fall to Mick to put it past him for his fourth of the game. 5-0.


The game ended at 5-0 and the boys deservedly progress to a League Cup semi-final match against Milton Colts Sky on 10th March.


We were really pleased with all the boys who put in such a strong and determined performance on a cold and windy day after such a long lay off. They battled well, tried to play football and were clinical in front of goal.


Top job everyone!!