Youth Match Report – U16 League Cup Final



Sunday 8th May 2011


Royston Town Youth Colts v Sawbridgeworth Town


Royston Crow Youth Football League U16 League Cup


Won 3-0

Royston Scorers

Mitch (2), Jordan

This young side finally won their first trophy of the season, one etheir efforts in the last six months much deserve as they lifted the Ken Murray Memorial Cup at Buntingford Town FC on Sunday afternoon.
With most of the lads having not participated in a cup final before there was some understandable nervousness in their game as they struggles to find their normal attractive passing game.
This said they still created numerous first half chances  with Jake Booth hitting a post from close range and firing wide when clear on goal, a  couple of headers being cleared off the line and another couple of efforts hit well but straight at the keeper. Sawbridgeworth were more of a threat from set plays with a close range header from a corner going over and another couple of scrambles just being cleared from other corners.
It took a special goal from Jordan Hall to open the scoring late in the half when he raced onto a long ball and smashed an unstoppable 25 yard effort high into the top corner of the net giving the keeper no chance.
Royston settled down nicely in the second half and were more composed on the ball. Chances continued to come but the lead could not be extended. Dan Sizer headed a corner inches over and had another headed off the line, Jacob Leighton hit the crossbar wiith a fierce 20 yard effort and another couple of efforts were disallowed for tight offside decisions.
Finally a penalty was awarded when Ellis King was brought down in the area and Mitchell Wooding scored from the spot. Sawbridgeworth had their best period with Conor Long making two fine blocks in goal and some very good set play deliveries caused defensive difficulty but were kept out. With more players being pushed in attack by Sawbridgeworth  Royston could have scored more but were often caught being offside but they did win another late penalty when Jake Booth was rugby tackled in the area and Mitchell Wooding confidently chipped in the penalty kick with cool composure to send the whole team into wild celebrations