Youth Match Report: U16 v U16 Cambridge Celts C&DCL League Cup 090214


Sunday 9th February 2014


Royston Town Youth v Cambridge Celts


Cambridge & District Colts League U16 Div A


Lost 1-2

Royston Scorers


We switched venues to Roysia due to our home pitch being waterlogged and although it was not perfect it was certainly playable, Cambridge Celts were the visitors today for a league cup QF and we were expecting a hard game after our victory against them in the league. More injuries and players only just coming back from lay offs meant we signed two new players Josh would start and Louie would be on the bench and we hoped they would give us a lift.

A strong wind meant that we had to try and keep it on the floor but also if we went long it must be on the diagonal as to give the front two and wide men any chance in the conditions. We went through set plays and what was expected of them and reminded them in these conditions just to keep it simple.

We would defended the wind first half but in spite of that made a decent start to the game with James R finding room out wide and his crosses were causing problems especially to there keeper, it was an even first fifteen minutes with little to chose between the sides, then after after twenty minutes we went in front when a ball in there box was not dealt with and Sam reacted quickest and scored from six yards out. We made sure the boys were switched on especially after getting caught last week after scoring and we did this time remain solid at the back. We then had a five minutes spell of giving away cheap free kicks from out side our box and although one was wasted and Robbie produced an excellent save from another it was third time lucky for Celts when this time Robbie could not hold a deflected strike and there player reacted quickest and it was back to all square. Robbie produced another fine save just before the end of the first half to insure we went in level at the break.

We had done ok in that first half without really firing on all cylinders, we needed to try and keep it more on the floor and get the ball out wide, we also said that although the wind was now in our favour with such little to chose between both sides not to think it would be such a factor and we had to earn the right to progress into the next round.

An even start to the second half although the first real opportunity feel to us when there keeper made an excellent double stop from a goalmouth scrabble denying Rhys on both occasions. The longer the game went on I had a feeling the next goal would win it. Celts always looked dangerous and there front two were a constant threat working hard in our third of the pitch. The winning goal came with fifteen minutes left when we failed to deal with a ball played up to the front man and as Robbie came out he calmly lobbed it over him. As much as we pushed for an equaliser we never really created that real chance to level and when the ref ended the game we were disappointed to lose a close game by the odd goal.

As with the first game nothing to chose between the sides but this time it was Celts that came out on top and good luck to them in the rest of the competition.The boys were really disappointed after as we all felt we never really got into top gear and missed that bit of sparkle today, this defeat was not about lack of commitment or effort that was there for all to see this was more about our decision making and a misjudgment and that is football, we win as a team and lose as a team no one individual was to blame and as long as we all learn from today then that’s the main thing.

I to take responsibility for today’s defeat with some of my decision making and I also let one or two players down regarding this so like the boys I need to learn from today and make sure I do not repeat my mistakes.

More cup heartache today but we will all bounce back from today that I am sure of.